Pickled red onions and vegetables definitely do not get enough credit. They need to go on your to-try list NOW! I promise you wont regret it! They are so easy and incredibly tasty - adding a punch of flavor to any dish!
A few years ago I visited the Yucatecan peninsula in mexico for a trip. After hiking the the mayan ruins we settled down for a delicious lunch at a hacienda. It was where I first became obsessed with pickled red onions and led to loving all the picked vegetables we often see at mexican restaurants. We often go to a mexican restaurant in LA that serves salads similar to Chipotle- they have a few more ingredients that add SO much more flavor and variety, like these pickled red onions. They are the best toppings for any taco salad, taco or nachos!
What are mexican pickled vegetables
While there are a variety of ways to make and season these pickled vegetables my favorite is this way. Mexcian pickled vegetables usually are pickled with citrus fruit, vinegar and a few other spices. They are usually refrigerated and not canned so they still have a fresh taste, a little crispness and a little of the tartness from the pickling solution. (I'm not suggesting that all mexican pickling is done this way, you can find plenty of canned pickled veggies. These fall under a whole different category, make them and you'll see! or if you visit any of our favorite authentic mexican restaurants here you'll also get a sample of my example )
How to make the best pickled red onions and vegetables
These pickled red onions are rather easy to make! and can really go on anything. Did you see our instagram earlier this week? (@ohsodelicioso) I put them on a pesto pizza with tomatoes, mozzarella, and feta. Use them on everything. They don't taste like pickles, and they don't taste like onions either. maybe somewhere in-between....mmm. I dunno. They have a little tart-ness, a little kick, and immense flavor.
- Start by slicing your vegetable nice and thin. Chop up garlic and any other items that are going into the jars.
- Pack your jars with the veggies and the all spice.
3. Mix up the pickling solution and pour it into the jars until it covers the veggies completely. I love that this solution is made of fresh citrus!
You let the onions rest in the pickling juices for about 24 hours for the best results! You can serve them long and skinny or take them out and chop them up! Serve over this carnitas recipe, or ANYTHING. I'm telling you, you will be completely addicted! They are crazy good!
The Best Pickled Red Onions and Vegetables
- ⅓ cup lime juice fresh
- ⅓ cup orange juice fresh
- ⅓ cup vinegar
- 1 jalapeño sliced thin
- 1 red onion or carrot or jalapeños sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon all spice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- In a bowl combine juices and mix well
- Depending on the vegetable you are making: Add in onion or carrots or jalapeños to the jar.
- If making pickled onion: add 1 jalapeño, sliced onions, 1 garlic clove, all spice.
- If making Pickled Carrots: add 1 jalapeño, sliced carrots, 1 garlic clove, all spice
- If making pickled Jalapeño: add 2 TBS onion, sliced jalapeños, 1 jalapeño, all spice
- Transfer to an air tight container and store in refrigerator up to two weeks
- Pour liquid over the vegetables until submersed. Cover and keep at room temp for ½-2 hours. Then refrigerate. Serve after 24 for hours (you can serve up to 2 hours after sitting, but I prefer 24 hours)