It's no secret that carne asada tacos are pretty bomb. It used to be my favorite until I met carnitas. Carnitas are a savory salty pork, slow cooked or boiled, shredded then fried just a bit to give it a little added crisp. When it comes to making a Mexican meat at home it can be hard and intimidating-NOT anymore friends. This instant pot authentic carnitas recipe will amaze you!! Making the recipe in the instapot is the perfect solution for cooking for a crowd at a Cinco de Mayo party.
How to Make this Instant Pot Authentic Carnitas Recipe
There are a couple of ways you can make this authentic carnitas recipe, my favorite is in the instant pot. It comes out tender and 100% shreddable. Making carnitas are tender and shredded can be the hardest part about making it at home. When I do it in my instant pot it turns out perfect every time! You really don’t have to give up authenticity & flavor making carnitas at home, with the proper ingredients and some handmade style tortillas, you will prefer your own recipes to the taco shop’s version.
Cut of Meat for Your Authentic Carnitas Recipe
- Always use pork butt! This is the cut of meat you want to always get because of the way it shreds. It can be a fatty piece of meat (which also means lots of flavor) to choose one that is a little more lean so you get more for your money.
- The quality of meat can alter your cook time. When I get fresh pork butt from the butcher I can cook (6lbs) for 60 minutes and it’s perfect! When I get packaged pork butt from a wholesale store I usually have to cook it about 90 minutes.
- Once the meat is fall-off-the-bone tender it will shred just by touching it. The beautiful thing is the fat will also separate really easily so you don't have spend a lot of time separating.
Slow Roasting Authentic Carnitas
You can also make carnitas in your oven by slow roasting them for a few hours. Wrap the food and seasonings tinfoil and pour water around. Let it cook for several hours until also is fall-off-the-bone tender. While we know this recipe is delicious, we also know that sometimes you are in a time crunch. La Tortilla Factory has the yummiest new Sauce Starters. If you’re in a pinch - these starters will deliver delicious and authentic flavor without a second thought.
Hands down these are our new favorite tortillas. We first received sample of these La Tortilla Factory handmade style tortillas last year and they instantly my husband hooked. We have been buying them ever since. His favorite are the combo of wheat and corn, mine the corn.
These tortillas are so soft and have the best texture with your tacos. They really feel and taste homemade.
Authentic Carnitas Recipe - The Toppings:
We love to top our authentic carnitas with any...or ALL of the following...
Celebrate At Su Casa
We hope this week you will be inspired to stay in and cook up some authentic Mexican food. Staying home, surrounded by family, friends, and food is the best feeling in the world. Come back and let me know just how much you loved this Carnitas recipe and just how much you loved staying in for Cinco De Mayo.
Slow Roasted Authentic Carnitas Recipe and Cilantro Rice
- 6 lbs pork butt
- 1 tbs sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 large orange sliced
- 2 jalapeño sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup broth
Carnitas Pressure Cooker Instructions
- In pressure cooker add broth and pork butt.
- In separate bowl mix dry spices together and rub on pork butt. Rub garlic, top with jalapeños, oranges, and onions.
- Cook High 60 minutes, natural release. If pork is tough put it back in for another 30-45 minutes.
- Remove meat when done. Shred. In separate pan (or you can do on saute mode) heat a few tablespoons of oil till hot. Add shredded carnitas meat and allow it so crisp in the oil. Don't stir until you see the meat darkening, flip is desired. Serve immediately
Carnitas Slow Roasted Instructions
- In a 9x13 pan place 2 pieces of foil perpendicular to each other.
- Center roast in foil, top with all ingredients except water
- Fold foil around roast
- Add broth in pan
- Cook at 275 for minimum 4 hours, and one hour per additional pound above 3 lbs.