Hot and crispy taquitos with a creamy cheesy chicken filling made crispy in the air fryer or the oven. You will never want to make your taquitos another way. These chicken taquitos in the air fryer have gone viral on instagram for a reason.
What are taquitos?
Taquitos are a common Mexican dish using corn tortillas, meat filling and then fried in oil to a delicious crispy crunch. We are making these taquitos healthier by air frying so you will get the salty crunch! We love to make this Mexican rice and salsa fresca to go with.
Why these air fryer chicken taquitos work?
You never can pass up a crispy shell with creamy melty cheese inside right?
- these taquitos, either baked or air fried, have salty crispy crunch just like fried taquitos but healthier
- they come together really quick and easy for a busy week night dinner
- perfect for the pickiest eater!
- Creamy cheese chicken middle no one can resist
About the ingredients
The most important ingredients are
- Shredded chicken- There's several easy ways you can make shredded chicken I've included them in a paragraph below.
- Green salsa- This is the base of the flavor in your chicken filling. I like to grab a cook quality brand for this. also remember- if you don't want spicy taquitos make sure to grab a mild salsa.
- Cheese- you can use pepper jack for a little kick, mozzarella or just whatever is on hand.
- Corn Tortillas- Corn tortillas are what traditional Mexican taquitos are made from. If you want to substitute them for flour you can.
- Spray Oil- Use a cooking oil to spray on your taquitos, I like to use a healthy oil like avocado or coconut.
What kind of shredded chicken do I need?
The basis for these taquito filling is shredded chicken! It doesn't really matter how you get that shredded chicken just that you have a few cups of it. Here are a few different options to making the shredded chicken. *I prefer rotisserie or instant pot.
- Pick up a rotisserie chicken! Our favorite rotisserie chicken is from Costco. Pull off all the meat, add salsa and spices, cheese and roll up into corn tortillas.
- Use your pressure cooker. Throw broth and chicken breast into instant pot and cook on poultry setting. The chicken will be pull apart tender.
- If you are going to be gone all day you can use a slow cooker too!
How to make chicken taquito filling
- Add your warm shredded chicken to a mixing bowl
- add you cheese cream cheese
- and green salsa
- Any other spices add now also
- Stir together
How to roll corn tortillas so they do no split or crack
The most important part of making your tortillas so they will not split while cracking is to have a damp paper towel and for the tortillas to be very hot. Almost too hot to touch. Luke warm will not do.
- take about 15 corn tortillas and place them on a microwave safe plate
- Add two damp paper towels over the tortillas, covering them completely.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Use immediately do not let cool. Keep taquitos covered with warm paper towel
PRO TIP: I have noticed that some brands do fall apart much easier. I've also feel like white corn does slightly better than yellow corn tortillas.
How make to the perfect rolled taquitos!
- One at a time remove hot corn tortilla from the stack (cover stack to keep in moisture and heat) fill with chicken filling and roll quickly before it cools.
- DO NOT OVER FILL- it will rip.
- Lay taquito seam side down on baking pan or air fryer basket.
The Secret Ingredient for extra crispy taquitos in air fryer is spray oil
Whatever you do do not skip this step.
I have used several different oils (or cooking spray) on my taquitos with success! but again, make sure they are in a spray bottle. the best is an aeresol can.
other great oils:
- avocado oil
- olive oil
- canola oil
Sprinkle kosher sea salt or malden flake salt over the top of the oil and you are read to cook your taquitos.
Is baking or air frying taquitos better?
There are pros can cons to baking or air frying taquitos. Below is some things you might want to consider
- Typically you will have to do smaller batches of taquitos for the air fryer, depending on how many you are making.
- Baking takes longer, air frying is faster.
- Both result it a really crispy outer shell, but I air fried is a little lighter crispy than baked.
If you are making a large batch I definitely recommend making it in the oven. In my 6 qt air fryer I could comfortably air fry 6-7 taquitos at most.
Yes, you can freeze or refrigerate the leftover. In the fridge they will last about 7-10 days. In the freezer they will last a month or two if sealed well.
Yes, the corn tortillas and ingredients should all be gluten free. Check your salsa and corn tortillas just to be safe that the brand isn't using flour (wheat) as an additive.
ITS AMAZING. Its our Creamy Jalapeño sauce. I promise its not spicy. Its the perfect balance of everything. Trust me you will want to guzzle it.
Yes, if you prefer you can use flour tortillas and follow all the same steps. If you purchase "fajita" flour tortillas they are smaller for taquito size.
Yes if your taquitos are fold from fridge or freezer you can pop them back into the air fryer to be reheated. This will also help it crisp back up to its former crispiness. Just add a few more minutes if they are frozen over refrigerated.
What do I serve with taquitos?
I love to serve fresh fruit and sour cream, Try some of these recipes!
Keep in touch!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Creamy Chicken Taquitos
- 2 cups shredded chicken about 1 lb of uncooked chicken
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup green salsa
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 cup grated pepperjack cheese or any cheese you have on hand
- 15 corn tortillas
- kosher salt
- spray oil
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine all the ingredients except tortillas and salt. Mix well.
- Place 15 corn tortillas on a microwave safe place.
- Cover with 2 damp (not dripping wet) paper towels and microwave for 2 minutes on microwave safe plate.Tortillas will be hot! but you need them hot so work fast.
- Place 1-2 T of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, roll as tight as you can. Lay seam side down on baking sheet or in air fryer.
- Spray tops with cooking spray and sprinkle with sea salt (my favorite part)
Air fryer instructions
- Place in air fryer basket seam side down. Air fry at 400 for 7 minutes. Some air fryers cook hotter or not as hot as others. Check at 7 minutes and add more time if needed.
- Heat oven to 425. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are crisp and brown.
- (freeze extras, and to re-heat wrap individually in a paper towel and microwave)