These creamy baked chicken taquitos are a staple in our house. We LOVE them. I love how easy it is, how fresh it is, how I always seem to have the ingredients around so when I’m in a pinch or dumbfounded as to what to make for dinner I have this as a backup. The kids not only help eat it but love to help make them. It’s full of tender chicken, a little bit of cream cheese, spices and a little more cheese. With a crunchy, crispy, salty crust.
Creamy Chicken Taquito Filling
There are several ways to make the taquito filling and they’re all so easy!
- Use your pressure cooker. Throw the ingredients in your instant pot for 12 min high pressure, and natural release. The chicken will be pull apart tender. Really easy to shred and add all the cheese goodness, then roll up and bake. I used my mini Instant Pot which I love! It is perfect for small dishes and side dishes!
- If you are going to be gone all day you can use a slow cooker too! Put chicken and ingredients listed below in crock pot and let cook for 6-8 hours until chicken is tender enough to shred.
- Pick up a rotisserie chicken! Our favorite rotisserie chicken is from Costco. Pull off all the meat, add salsa and spices, cheese and roll up into corn tortillas.
How to roll corn tortillas
Corn tortillas are the way to go with these creamy baked taquitos. You can use flour tortillas, however, corn is really the authentic way to make taquitos. Grab a pile of about 12 tortillas, place 2 damp paper towels on them and microwave them for about 2 minutes. When they are done in the microwave you will want to roll them IMMEDIATELY. You don’t want the tortillas to cool before you rolll them. You will want to work quickly for this part. Place as much chicken inside as you prefer…I like about 2 TBS for big taquitos, but if you want to make them more like the kind from the frozen section of the grocery store you can put less. (less inside will make double the taquitos, obviously :) these freeze awesome. just wrap in paper towel to heat up.) After they’re rolled on your sheet pan, spray them a with a good canola oil spray and sprinkle coarse sea salt. My very favorite part!! I love Redmond’s Real Salt. So good. Bake and then eat!! We love to serve these with this Fresh Salsa, Chunky Guacamole and sour cream!
- 1/3 c cream cheese
- 1/4 c green salsa
- 1 T fresh lime juice
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t garlic
- 3 T chopped cilantro
- 2 T sliced green onions or reg onions
- 2 c cooked shredded chicken
- 1 c grated pepperjack cheese or any cheese you have on hand
- small corn tortillas
- kosher salt
Heat oven to 425.
Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
Combine all the ingredients except tortillas and salt. Mix well.
Place 10-15 corn tortillas on a microwave safe place.
Cover with 2 very damp (not dripping wet) paper towels and microwave for 1-1:30.Tortillas will be hot! but you need them hot so work fast.
Place 1-2 T of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, roll as tight as you can. Lay seam side down on baking sheet.
Spray tops with cooking spray and sprinkle with sea salt (my favorite part)
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are crisp and brown.
(freeze extras, and to re-heat wrap individually in a paper towel and microwave)
Add 2-3 frozen chicken breast into pressure cooker. Add salsa, onions, chili powder, cumin and garlic. Cook 12 minutes high pressure, let natural release.
shred chicken and add remaining ingredients. Roll in tortillas.
Add 2-3 frozen chicken breast into slow cooker. Add salsa, onions, chili powder, cumin and garlic. Cook 6-8 low. (or 3 high).
Shred chicken and add remaining ingredients. Roll in tortillas.