It's full of tender chicken, a little bit of cream cheese, spices and a little more cheese. With a crunchy, crispy, salty crust.
You can double the recipe and freeze the filling. That way you just pull out a batch and thaw it without having to touch a knife or mixing bowl before dinner.
PRESSURE COOKER: Cook chicken in pressure cooker--2-3 chicken breasts in 1/2 c green salsa. Close and lock lid and valve, poultry setting for 12 minutes with natural release. Drain liquid, shred, then use chicken as directed in recipe.
WHAT TYPE OF CHICKEN DO I USE?
The basis for these taquito filling is shredded chicken! It doesn't really matter how you get that shredded chicken just that you have a few cups of it. Here are a few different options to making the shredded chicken. You can see in my video below I used my instant pot. This is probably the most common for me, but sometimes I just use leftover chicken or rotisserie!
- Pick up a rotisserie chicken! Our favorite rotisserie chicken is from Costco. Pull off all the meat, add salsa and spices, cheese and roll up into corn tortillas.
- Use your pressure cooker. Throw the ingredients in your instant pot for 12 min high pressure, and natural release. The chicken will be pull apart tender. Really easy to shred and add all the cheese goodness, then roll up and bake. I used my mini Instant Pot which I love! It is perfect for small dishes and side dishes!
- If you are going to be gone all day you can use a slow cooker too! Put chicken and ingredients listed below in crock pot and let cook for 6-8 hours until chicken is tender enough to shred.
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT ROLLED TAQUITO!
Corn tortillas can be really tricky to work with because they tend to tear pretty easily. Here are the steps:
- on a plate, place about 15 tortillas and cover with 2 damp paper towels.
- Place in microwave for about 2 minutes. You want them pretty hot.
- Roll immediately from microwave! do not let cool.
- One at a time remove from the stack (cover stack to keep in moisture and heat) fill with chicken filling and roll quickly before it cools.
- DO NOT OVER FILL- it will rip.
- Lay taquito seam side down on baking tray.