One of our favorite, fast, weeknight meals is fajitas. For years I relied on the seasoning packets to whip this meal up – but I recently discovered I could do it from scratch with just as much ease and with double or triple the tastiness.
Marinate For Juicy Flavorful Chicken
I start by marinating my chicken. 2-3 hours works, but overnight would be even better. I add lots of lime juice, lime zest, garlic, olive oil, cumin, chipotle, and onion powder for the yummiest chicken you ever did taste.
Simple & Fresh
Cook the chicken breasts in a skillet and while it is cooking, dice up some onions and peppers. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest. Quick cook the onions and peppers in all of the chicken juices left over in the pan and give them an extra squeeze of lime.
In less than 20 minutes you have a perfect fajita meal. Serve them up with flour tortillas, guacamole, salsa, and shredded cheese.
The Perfect Weeknight Dinner
When you’re in a pinch this week, I hope you’ll give this easy recipe a try!
A healthy and quick dinner for your busiest night!
- 3 chicken breasts
- juice from 2 limes
- zest from 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 bell peppers sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic minced
- juice from one lime divided
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Flour Tortillas
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- shredded lettuce
- In a gallon sized zip lock bag, combine all marinade ingredients. Turn to coat. Let marinate in the fridge for 3 hours and up to overnight.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium high heat.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade.
- Cook chicken in olive oil for about 7 minutes each side, until juices run clear and cooked through. Remove from skillet and let rest on a cutting board.
- Place onions, peppers, garlic, and half of lime juice in the skillet and cook for 6-7 minutes until barely limp.
- Meanwhile, slice chicken into one inch pieces.
- Once veggies are cooked return chicken to skillet and top with remaining lime juice.
- Serve immediately with flour tortillas, shredded cheese, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and lime wedges.