One of our go-to popular instant pot recipes this instant pot Mexican rice will be your new favorite quick and easy side to your taco Tuesday nights. It's the perfect sides for all things Mexican- enchiladas, tacos, tostadas, taco salad, you name it this rice is perfect!
IS THIS AN AUTHENTIC MEXICAN RICE RECIPE?
Yes, while I do not come from Mexico this recipe comes from my dear friends grandma who makes the best Mexican rice and also was born and raised Mexico. Her secret ingredient is tomato bouillon!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED FOR MEXICAN RICE
It's a pretty simple recipe all you need is:
- water or broth
- tomato bouillon
- oil - I use olive or avocado
- optional - diced onion
WHAT IS TOMATO BOUILLON AND WHERE DO I FIND IT?
You can find tomato bouillon at your local grocery store in the mexican food isle. It is made by the company Knorrs. It comes in different sizes of bottles too! Check by the bouillons and spices in the Mexican food isle.
Knorrs recently started to make a more natural line of bouillon, however the natural tomato bouillon is combined with chicken- as you can see below its slightly different in color so your rice will look more orange than red.
WHY SHOULD I USE A PRESSURE COOKER TO COOK RICE?
Using a pressure cooker for rice is great because it
- cooks it faster than any rice cooker I've owned
- replaces a rice cooker so I dont have multiple gadgets taking up space
- cooks faster than the stove top and has less steps.
IF I DONT OWN AN INSTANT POT CAN I USE STOVE TOP OR RICE COOKER?
YES! if you dont own a pressure cooker you can cook the rice the same way you cook your plain rice but using these ingredients.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT MEXICAN RICE
- START by adding you oil on saute setting.
- Dump in your onions and
- cook until they are translucent.
DON'T LIKE ONIONS? SKIP THEM!
I've made this recipe loads of time and just skipped the onions. It taste great with just the bouillon, but the sautéed onions do add a little extra flavor.
Next Dump in the remainder of your ingredients.
- add your rice
- your water or broth
- add tomato bouillon
- stir together
HOW LONG DO I COOK INSTANT POT MEXICAN RICE
Set your pressure cooker to cook on the rice setting, or cook on high for 12 minutes. You do not need to let rice natural release you can immediately release all the pressure.
FLUFF THE RICE
As the rice cooks the bouillon might settle in some places. After you remove the lid fluff the rice and stir the flavor all around.
HOW DO I STORE LEFTOVER INSTANT POT MEXICAN RICE?
Keep any leftover Mexican rice in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for two weeks. Any rice you reheat and don't finish make sure you toss. Food should not be kept after being reheated.
IS THIS RECIPE GLUTEN FREE?
Yes, the bouillon and rice do not contain any wheat!
CAN'T FIND TOMATO BOUILLON WHAT DO I DO?
I'm including a recipe below for you to make your own tomato bouillon in the blender. Check the recipe card notes.
Don't Be Shy!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to
Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3 Tablespoon Knorr tomato bouillon
- 2 Tablespoon oil I use avocado
- 3 cups water or broth
- ¼ cup diced onion
- Add the oil and turn the instant pot to saute setting. Add onion and cook until onions are soft and translucent. (if you dont like onions skip this step)
- Stir all ingredients together in pressure cooker. Set to rice setting. You can quick release rice.
- Blend 2 tomatoes, boullion cube, garlic clove, and 1 ¼ cup water, onion.
- I do 1 ½ TBS tomato bouillon for every 1 cup rice.
- 1 TBS oil for 1 cup rice
- and 1 ½ cups water to every 1 cup rice.