One of our go-to popular instant pot recipes this instant pot Mexican rice will be your new favorite quick and easy side to your taco Tuesday nights. It's the perfect sides for all things Mexican- enchiladas, tacos, tostadas, taco salad, you name it this rice is perfect!
Is this an authentic Mexican rice recipe?
Yes, while I do not come from Mexico this recipe comes from my dear friends grandma who makes the best Mexican rice and also was born and raised Mexico. Her secret ingredient is tomato bouillon!
Important ingredients for instant pot Mexican rice
It's a pretty simple recipe all you need is:
- Rice- I prefer a long grain rice.
- Chicken stock. You can also use vegetable to make this a vegetarian dish or water.
- tomato bouillon- this is the key ingredient. Instead of using tomato sauce or canned tomatoes she uses tomato bouillon. It gives you amazing flavor and color.
- oil - I use olive or avocado, just for sautéing onion and helping to keep the rice from getting too sticky.
- optional - diced onion
What is tomato bouillon?
Tomato bouillon is dehydrated tomatoes and vegetables with a mix of salts and spices.
PRO TIP: you can find tomato bouillon at your local grocery store in the mexican food isle. It is made by the company Knorrs. It comes in different sizes of bottles too! Check by the bouillons and spices in the Mexican food isle.
Knorrs recently started to make a more natural line of bouillon, however the natural tomato bouillon is combined with chicken- as you can see below its slightly different in color so your rice will look more orange than red.
How to make instant pot Mexican rice
Step 1: Turn your pressure cooker to saute setting and add oil.
Step 2: Add in your onions
Step 3: cook onions until they are translucent.
PRO TIP: Dont like onions? Skip them! (or don't have time?) I've made this recipe loads of time and just skipped the onions. It taste great with just the bouillon, but the sautéed onions do add a little extra flavor.
Step 4: Add the remainder of your ingredients.
- add your rice
- your water or broth
- add tomato bouillon
- stir together
Cook you Mexican rice
Set your pressure cooker to cook on the rice setting, or cook on high for 12 minutes. You do not need to let rice natural pressure release you can immediately release all the pressure.
Fluff rice and serve
As the rice cooks the bouillon might settle in some places. After you remove the lid fluff the rice and stir the flavor all around.
If you're looking for a main dish to accompany this delicious side, check out these Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers. They are so easy and yummy!
Why should I use a pressure cooker to make rice?
Using a pressure cooker for rice is great because it
- cooks it faster than any rice cooker I've owned
- replaces a rice cooker so I dont have multiple gadgets taking up space
- cooks faster than the stove top and has less steps.
If I don't own an instant pot can I still use my rice cooker or stove top method?
YES! if you dont own a pressure cooker you can cook the rice the same way you cook your plain rice but using these ingredients.
Not much! Different cultures put in different spices but the ultimate difference seems to be that Spanish rice is a harder, firmer rice whereas Mexican rice is softer and fluffier.
Keep any leftover Mexican rice in and air tight container in the fridge. It will keep for 10-14 days there.
Yes. The rice and bouillon do not contain any wheat.
You can sub it for a can of tomatoes or add tomato sauce. I've included adjustments in the recipe card.
Don't Be Shy!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to
Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3 Tablespoon Knorr tomato bouillon
- 2 Tablespoon oil I use avocado
- 3 cups water or broth
- ¼ cup diced onion
- Add the oil and turn the instant pot to saute setting. Add onion and cook until onions are soft and translucent. (if you dont like onions skip this step)
- Stir all ingredients together in pressure cooker. Set to rice setting. You can quick release rice.
- Blend 2 tomatoes, boullion cube, garlic clove, and 1 ¼ cup water, onion.
- I do 1 ½ TBS tomato bouillon for every 1 cup rice.
- 1 TBS oil for 1 cup rice
- and 1 ½ cups water to every 1 cup rice.
Have you tried this recipe combined with your chicken burrito bowls? Just wondering if you could do this rice with the chicken ??
That would be amazing!!!
I make this recipe weekly! I usually leave out the onions and we love it just as much. Tomato bouillon really isa game changer
Ever since i found this recipe i cant make rice any other way. Its the best!
Erin V says
Hands down my favorite rice
Yum cant wait to tRy this. I have to know. Where did You get the watch band. L o v E !!
The print feature on this page prints all five page of narrative and pictures, NOT just the recipe.
I'm sorry Wis, maybe it is a setting on your computer or the internet browser you are using, for me it only prints 1 page and it only has the recipe on it.