Perfect every time - this easy zucchini bread that is so delicious and full of goodness. This bread is a great way to use up summer zucchini and makes a delicious breakfast or snack. Spread with butter or jam and enjoy with a cup of cinnamon milk or tea.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
When it comes to zucchini bread recipes - I come back to this one over and over. The results are fool-proof, and everyone in my family absolutely loves it. I have given this to neighbors and always receive rave reviews and requests for the recipe. I think you are going to love how easy this recipe is, but also just how delicious it is! You'll also love:
- How moist it is - grates zucchini makes for extra moist zucchini bread. The oil in this recipe also keeps it moist.
- This recipes makes enough to share - this recipe makes 2 loaves, so you can eat one and give one to a neighbor.
- Zucchini bread freezes like a dream - want to stock your freezer with delicious zucchini bread? This recipe freezes for up to 3 months!
What Is Zucchini Bread?
Zucchini bread is a one of our quick bread recipes, made without yeast. Quick bread is any bread leavened with leavening agents other than yeast. Common quick breads are banana bread, pumpkin bread and corn bread. This easy zucchini bread recipe combines fresh zucchini & warm spices for a sweet and deliciously dense bread with a sugary crunchy crust.
What Do I Need To Make This Recipe?
All the ingredients you need for this recipe can be purchased at your local grocery store. Here are a few items to note:
- Fresh zucchini - when purchasing zucchini, check that it is firm. Softness indicates that the fruit is probably rotting and should be discarded.
- Canola or vegetable oil - this keeps the bread moist. Any vegetable oil will work - canola, vegetable, or even avocado.
- Leaveners - in this recipe we are using both baking powder and baking soda. This helps the bread to rise. We are using 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and 1 teaspoon of salt to activate them.
A complete list of ingredients is located in the recipe card below.
What Tools Do I Need To Make This Recipe?
- The only thing you need are loaf pans.
- It is nice to have a hand or stand mixer, but you can stir by hand also.
- It is also nice to have box grater.
How do you make zucchini bread from scratch?
Making zucchini bread is really easy. Let me show you just how to do it. Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees F.
1. Take your fresh garden zucchini and grate, using a box grater, to make a beautiful mess. You will need two cups zucchini.
Pro Tip: One large zucchini or two small zucchini = 2 cups grated zucchini. Cut both ends off of the zucchini. No need to peel. Grate zucchini over a bowl or cutting board as much of the zucchini as possible.
2. Whisk oil and sugar together.
3. Add eggs and vanilla and mix.
4. Combine zucchini with the wet mixture. Mix.
5. Add in your dry ingredients- flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
6. Mix until just combined. Don't over mix.
7. Divide between two 9 inch greased loaf pans. If you would like to use mini loaf pans, divide between four mini tins.
8. Bake at 325 degrees for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Pro Tip: Test With A Toothpick – At 50 minutes, start testing your bread for doneness. Stick a toothpick in the center of the bread. If it comes out clean, the bread is done. If batter sticks to the toothpick, you're looking at more cooking time.
- Add in one cup pecans, dried cranberries, or chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips for chocolate zucchini bread.
- Create a crumb topping by combining butter, brown sugar, and flour and adding to the top of the batter before baking. (combine ⅓ cup brown sugar, 4 tablespoon melted butter, and ⅔ cup of flour. Scatter over the top of bread prior to baking.)
Zucchini Bread FAQ
If your zucchini is large, you should remove the seeds. By the time the zucchini has large and well formed seeds, it is tougher and the seeds are tough to eat and often taste bitter. They will not be pleasant in the zucchini bread, so it's recommended that you scoop them out before adding the flesh to the bread. If your zucchini is small to medium sized, there is no need to remove.
There is also no need to remove the peel from your zucchini.
One large zucchini or two small zucchini = 2 cups grated.
Storing Zucchini Bread
- Storing - This quickbread will keep at room temperature for several days. Just store in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap.
- How to freeze zucchini bread - Let bread cool completely, wrap it in plastic wrap, and then wrap it in aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw on the counter in its wrapping.
- Selecting - When purchasing zucchini, check that it is firm. Softness indicates that the fruit is probably rotting and should be discarded.
- Grating - There are several ways - you can use a box grater, a food processor, or the grating tool for the Kitchenaid stand mixer. You can also use a fork to shred the zucchini. One large zucchini or two small zucchini = 2 cups grated. Cut both ends off of the zucchini. No need to peel. Grate over a bowl or cutting board as much of the zucchini as possible.
Quick Bread Baking Tips:
- Testing for doneness: While baking time is a guide, to test for doneness of sweet orange bread, insert a wooden toothpick into center of the loaf. If the toothpick comes out clean the quick bread is done. You can also gently touch the top of the bread. If it springs back, it is done. If it leaves and indent, it needs more time. Alternately, you can use a thermometer to check the internal temperature. The center should be 210 degrees when it is cooked thru.
I love quick bread - do you have other recipes?
Check out our:
Stay In Touch!
If you tried this Easy Zucchini Bread or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re up to!
Easy Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 2 cups zucchini grated
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide between two greased 9" loaf pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.