HOW TO MAKE FRESH SALSA
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED FOR FRESCA SALSA?
- GREAT quality canned tomato
- of course, tomatoes!
WHAT KIND OF TOMATOES ARE BEST FOR SALSA?
You want two things from a tomato for the ULTIMATE salsa. Let's face it- the shining ingredient is the tomato! if you pick bland unripe tomatoes your salsa will not be as flavorful no matter what recipe you make. So pick wisely.
I also look for tomatoes that are more meaty, less watery like a Roma tomatoes. However, sometimes roma look more yellow than red, if that is the case then pick the best looking tomatoes in your grocery store. Perhaps "tomatoes on the vine" or "heirloom" tomatoes.
HOW TO MAKE SALSA IN YOUR BLENDER
WHAT KIND OF CANNED TOMATOES DO I BUY?
HOW LONG DOES SALSA LAST IN THE REFRIGERATOR?
- 15 oz Can Tomatoes best quality or fire roasted
- 1 small onion
- 6-8 roma tomatoes
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 1 cloves Garlic
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 juice of two limes
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- In a food processor or blender place onion, cilantro, garlic, and seeded jalapeño. Chop until very small but not mushed.
- Add can of tomatoes and quartered Roma tomatoes. Pulse until slightly chunky.
- Add salt, lime and pepper. Stir and taste test with salt. At this point the salsa will taste a little more like canned tomatoes than a salsa. The flavors need to sit and marry together.
- Allow salsa to sit, in fridge for a few hours, even over night in an air tight container.
- If you are serving salsa with in the hour, then leave the salsa at room temperature, stirring every 5-10 minutes until serving time.
- Yields 4-5 cups