Crispy lettuce, crunchy nuts and sweet fresh fruit paired with a tangy sweet poppy seed dressing this berry salad will rock your next meal. Add all your favorites- strawberries, raspberries and blue berry salad. It's the perfect summer salad!
What is Blue Berry Salad?
This berry salad contains a variety of berries, candied nuts and poppyseed dressing. This salad is a copycat of a popular restaurant in the Western United States called Zupas. Its pretty famous for its salad and Wisconsin Cauliflower Cheddar Soup (we have a recipe for that too!)
Why This Berry Salad Works?
Besides for its pairing of salty sweet together some other reasons you'll love this blue berry salad is
- you can find fresh berries year round, so this salad is great any time of the year.
- it has a combination of juicy fresh fruit and sweet/salt crunchy nuts paired with crisp lettuce.
- This poppyseed dressing is much more healthier than store bought and taste better!
- It's all made very quickly. Perfect for a fancy dinner or a group potluck.
About the ingredients
- Poppyseed Dressing- I show you step by step below how to make this easy dressing.
- Berries- Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries all taste delicious. You can even throw in other fruits like cherries if desired.
- Candied Almonds- I have an easy recipe below but you can also purchase store bought for convince
- Deep green lettuce- I prefer a mixed green, romain or spinach for this salad
How to Make Poppyseed Dressing
It's quick and easy to make this dressing in the blender or food processor. You will need
- Oil- Use canola or avocado. A nice light, oil.
- Poppyseeds- you can find it in the spice oil
- red onion- this give the poppyseed dressing its distinct color and flavor,.
In a blender add all ingredients and blend.
When it is done the salad dressing should be a light creamy pink color and texture. Set aside either in the fridge.
PROTIP: You can make this dressing and the candied almonds ahead of time to save on prep work before a meal.
How to make Candied Almonds
Your almonds only need a few ingredients-
Step 1: Combine all ingredients in a skillet.
Step 2: Stirring continuously on medium high heat the sugar will start to melt.
Step 3: When it is all dissolved and the almonds are coated remove from the pan.
Step 4: Let cool before adding to the salad.
Building Your Blue Berry Salad
Step 1: cut and wash your greens (baby spinach, mixed greens or romain)
Step 2: add in your fruit
Step 3: Top with pecans
Step 4: Add poppyseed dressing
The poppyseed dressing will naturally start to separate as it stands. Serving your dressing in a dressing bottle with a shaker ball will help to reincorporate the oil and ingredients together quickly.
Make this salad for the holidays
This blueberry summer salad is the perfect holiday salad. Adding a little white cheese makes it festive as a red white and blue salad.
Feta is a perfect pairing. For a more neutral cheese try fresh mozzarella.
The dressing and almonds can easily be stored ahead of time. Place dressing in fridge, and almonds in an air tight container at room temp. If you are preparing the salad keep lettuce and berries separate. slice and wash before hand but do not combine until ready to serve.
If the leftover salad has been dressed you will want to store it in a air tight container in the fridge. It will be slightly wilted. Whereas undressed salad will still stay more crisp.
More Recipes To Serve With this Berry Salad
Try these to serve with this salad!
Stay In Touch
If you tried this Berry Salad recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t be shy! Let us know! Rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Blue Berry Salad
- 1 cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup white balsamic vinegar apple cider or white distilled work as well
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ red onion about ¼ cup
- ½ Tablespoon poppyseeds
- 1 cup almonds
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- romaine spinach, and/or field greens
- Place all vinaigrette ingredients in food processor and process until smooth. Chill.
- Place all cinnamon-sugared almonds ingredients in small frying pan on medium heat. Once sugar begins to melt, store continuously until sugar has completely melted and adhered to almonds. Remove almonds and set on plate to cool.
- Assemble lettuce and fruit in serving bowl or plates. Top with almonds and dressing. Serve immediately.