Tender shredded beef, in a flavorful spiced sauce. Perfect for tacos, burritos, salads, and more. This beef barbacoa recipe is cooked in the pressure cooker which gives it a cooked-all-day flavor but it is made in about an hour.
Barbacoa Made In A Fraction Of The Time
Traditionally barbacoa is a preparation of meat (usually beef – or sometimes goat or sheep) that is steam cooked in an underground oven until it is falling apart tender. We are going to achieve this in a fraction of the time using the pressure cooker. This meal is going to knock your socks off!
What Do I Need To Make Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa?
- a beef roast
- beef broth
- tomato sauce
- canned chipotle peppers
- rice vinegar
- olive oil
- chili powder
- ground chipotle
How Do I Make Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa?
- Season beef with salt and pepper
In your Instant Pot or pressure cooker, add olive oil. Select the saute setting and heat oil.
Sear both sides of your roast in oil.
Add lime zest.
Add lime juice.
Add chipotle pepper.
Add tomato sauce.
And beef broth.
Using the manual mode, cook for 60 minutes and allow a natural pressure release.
Remove beef from pressure cooker and shred.
Return shredded meat to liquid.
What cut of beef should I use for this beef barbacoa recipe?
You can use a chuck roast, or a brisket for this recipe. Choose a nice cut of beef that has some marbling.
Let’s Be Besties!
If you tried beef barbacoa recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t be shy! Let us know! Rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa Tacos
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lb beef chuck roast, rump roast, or brisket
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- zest from 1 lime
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 canned chipotle pepper minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground chipotle
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup beef broth
- In your Instant Pot or pressure cooker, add olive oil. Select the saute setting and heat oil.
- Sear both sides of your roast in oil.
- Add onion, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, chipotle pepper, spices, tomato sauce, vinegar, and beef broth.
- Using the manual mode, cook for 60 minutes and use a natural pressure release.
- Remove beef from pressure cooker and shred.
- Meanwhile set pressure cooker to saute and reduce liquid by about a third.
- Return shredded meat to liquid.