Tacos are a big deal around here. We even taught a taco and salsa class at Pinner’s Conference last fall. Taco Tuesdays are a tradition at our house – so I was anxious to make this Beef Barbacoa in my Instant Pot. I love that the Instant Pot produces textures as if the food was slowly cooked all day – but in a fraction of the time.
Making Beef Barbacoa in the Instant Pot
These tacos were so tasty – the beef was savory and spicy and tender! I added some lime juice and rice vinegar which tenderized the meat and made it literally fall apart while I was taking it out of the pressure cooker. Rice vinegar has been a longtime favorite of mine – I love splashing it on salad with a little olive oil and salt and pepper…and it has always been my go-to in Asian-inspired recipes. When Nakano reached out to us and offered to send some of their vinegars to try, I jumped at the chance. I was tickled when a variety of flavors like garlic and mango arrived on my doorstep.
Ever since living in Southern California I really love slaw on my tacos – so I added a spicy mango slaw to this Beef Barbacoa. I wanted to skip the mayo, so I opted for canola oil and some mango rice vinegar. For a little kick I also added some mango habanero jelly and sriracha. The inspiration to make this slaw sans mayo was Nakano’s Superfood Swaps. I love their suggestions for cutting down on some of those not-so-healthy foods. Check out some of their ideas below:
The combination of the savory meat and the spicy slaw is perfection! Add some creamy avocado, pico de gallo, and some cotija cheese and you have a practically perfect taco. If you want to keep things authentic and gluten-free, use corn tortillas. If you want to go for a Tex-Mex feel, opt for flour tortillas. Both are delicious.
So you can see how simple this recipe is – check out my step-by-step video. You literally just dump everything in your Instant Pot and forget it. While your meat is cooking, whip up your slaw, and you’ll have restaurant-quality tacos on the table in about 45 minutes.
What is your favorite recipe for taco Tuesday? Let me know in the comments! And I hope you’ll add this one to your meal plan.
Shop The Post
Savory, spicy and tender beef tacos made in the instant pot and topped with mango slaw and cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb beef chuck roast or rump roast
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- zest from 1 lime
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 canned chipotle pepper minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground chipotle
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp mango habanero jelly
- 1/4 cup mango rice vinegar
- 14 ounces bagged coleslaw mix
- corn or flour tortillas
- cojita cheese
- pico de gallo
- In your Instant Pot or pressure cooker, add olive oil. Select the saute setting and heat oil.
- Sear both sides of your roast in oil.
- Add onion, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, chipotle pepper, spices, tomato sauce, vinegar, and beef broth.
- Using the manual mode, cook for 44 minutes and use a quick pressure release.
- Remove beef from pressure cooker and shred.
- Meanwhile set pressure cooker to saute and reduce liquid by about a third.
- Return shredded meat to liquid.
- In a small bowl combine canola oil, sriracha, mango habanero jelly, and mango rice vinegar. Whisk until combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine oil mixture and cole slaw, mix well.
- In tortilla of your choice, layer meat, slaw, pico, cheese, and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
Thanks to Nakano for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions are my own.