Hearty quinoa, sweet bell peppers, earthy mushrooms, fresh squash, and tender chicken are topped with a flavorful herb sauce in this Chimichurri Chicken Bowl.
What Is A Chicken Nourish Bowl?
The term nourish bowl means a dish made of various greens, veggies, beans, and a healthy grain like quinoa or brown rice and the addition of a protein.
What Do I Need To Make Chicken Bowls?
- cooked quinoa
- yellow squash
- bell pepper
And for the chimichurri you'll need:
Pro Tip: For tips on cooking the perfect quinoa, check out our recent blog post with all of our tips.
How Do I Make This Dish?
- Start by preparing your chimichurri. Mince your onion and parsley. Squeeze your lemon.
- Combine in a bowl with oil.
- Next you are going to use your prepared chimichurri to marinate your veggies and chicken. Use ¼ of the chimichurri to marinate chicken and another ¼ to marinate your veggies. Let stand in fridge for 2 hours.
- Grill your chicken and veggies.
Pro Tip: When cooking chicken I've found about 18 minutes total is the perfect cooking time. Cook until just barely 160 degrees, remove from the grill, and cover them while they rest. Trap the juices in there and it'll continue to rise a few degrees. #winning
How Do I Assemble My Chimichurri Chicken Bowl?
- In a bowl place ½ cup of cooked quinoa
- Add grilled squash and zucchini.
- Layer in grilled mushrooms
- Add grilled bell peppers
- Layer grilled chicken.
- Top with reserved chimichurri.
What Is Chimichurri?
I've had chimichurri a few times before, some better than others, and even have another recipe on the site for Chimichurri Steak Tacos. It's an herb-y condiment with Argentine origins. It's served with steak a lot, chimichurri chicken is not as common, but we love it. Together this chimichurri chicken, veggies, and quinoa are perfection in this chicken buddha bowl.
Chimichurri Chicken Q&A
What does chimichurri taste like?
It has a fresh herby and tangy taste. With fresh parsley and garlic it is a very bright and green flavor.
How long does chimichurri last in the fridge?
If kept in an airtight container, chimichurri lasts 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
Can I make chimichurri ahead of time?
Yes! It is even better if made 24-48 hours ahead.
How do I cook quinoa?
We have a post that gives you all the tips and tricks about cooking quinoa.
KEEP IN TOUCH!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Chimichurri Chicken Bowl
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 zucchini
- 2 squash
- 8 oz mushrooms
- mini bell peppers
- 2 cup cooked rice or quinoa
- 2 bunches flat-leaf parsley stems removed and leaves chopped
- 8-10 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup oil canola or vegetable
- ½ cup lemon juice
- Combine ingredients for chimichurri in glass or plastic bowl.
- Place chicken in one gallon-size bag and vegetables in another bag. Spoon enough chimichurri into each bag to coat contents and let marinate in refrigerator for about 2 hours. You should still have at least ½ c chimichurri left--refrigerate this as well.
- Remove all bags and let come to room temperature.
- Preheat grill to high heat, then lower to medium heat, about 400 degrees. Add chicken and veggies to grill. Remove veggies after they've slightly softened, about 10-15 minutes. Remove chicken after about 18 minutes, or 160 degrees. Let chicken rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Arrange four bowls with grain, chicken, veggies, then drizzle with remaining chimichurri.
This recipe looks delicious however I don't understand how nearly 2800 calories, 30 grams of fat and 1160 grams of sodium in a one cup serving can be considered healthy. Seriously that is what I eat in a 2 day period!
The nutritional info was reflecting the entire recipe - not per serving. I've updated it to reflect a serving of 1 cup of rice, 1 chicken breast, plus veggies and toppings. The recipe makes 4 servings - so now the nutritional card is accurate for one serving.
Erin V says
I am happy to slap chimichurri on just about anything - looks delishhhh!