Italian Sodas are one of the best drinks ever! Perfect to customize for each person (great for groups). They are very cost effective and a delicious sweet treat. Using this Italian soda recipe I'm going to show how to make Italian sodas in minutes.
Why Italian Sodas work
- GREAT for girls night, group get togethers adults AND children
- Tailor to everyones tastes with a variety of flavors
- Sweet bubbly drink without the caffeine or price tag
What you need to make an Italian soda
- Flavored Syrup My favorite is Torani Syrup Brand. I love this brand because they are great quality with an amazing range of flavors you can really come up with some on point combinations.
- Sparkling water or club soda. It doesn't matter which one, unless you have a preference. You need to have a flavorless sparkling base for this drink.
- Ice. Keep it nice and chilled
- Cream or whipping cream.
- Garnishes like limes, cherries, other fruit, or even rim the cup with sugar.
How to make an Italian Soda
Step 1: Fill a 16oz cup half way with ice. PRO TIP: If serving for a fun occasion serve for the pebble ice. You can get it at Sonic, Chick fil a and some gas stations.
Step 2: Add about 2 oz (4 tbs) of syrup to the glass
Step 3: Add your Sparkling water or soda.
PRO TIP: Make sure you soda is nice and chilled before you serve. It'll keep the flavors from getting watered down and taste more refreshing.
Step 4: Stir together
I have found that stores like US Chef's store and Smart and final have the best selection and price. But you can also find a good selection at Cost Plus World market and some smaller bottles of Torani Syrups by the coffee in your grocery stores.
You can find club soda usually in the isle by the alcohol. Sparkling water is by the soda or flavored waters. You can use La Croix, but their mild flavor will infused with the flavors you are adding to your Italian soda.
Adding Cream to Italian Soda
Did you know technically an Italian soda is not made with cream, when you add cream it is a French Soda. But also, Italian sodas are not from Italy. They originated here in the United States. Torani- an Italian family- is credited for the drink.
What kind of cream do I add?
- You can use heavy cream and pour about 1 tbs into the drink.
2. Or you can choose a whipped cream on top!
Add in Garnishes and cream as your final step.
- While it is not standard, it is still delicious to have an option of a fruit puree or fruit to pair with the fruity syrups.
- Add your cream and stir together.
Some other dairy free creamy substitutes you can use are
- Oat Milk
- Coconut milk
- Almond milk
- There are some dairy free flavored coffee creamers you can use too- I prefer not to use these because they are artificial flavors and oil. But they would work too.
How to make an Italian Soda Bar
Now that you know how to make them you must throw a party and have an italian soda bar. They are ALWAYS a hit, I serve them at every party at my house. Here are some tips:
- Make some cute signs of flavor combinations for friends (trust me, they can get overwhelmed checking out the plethora of flavors). Here are some of my favorites.
- pineapple and coconut
- cherry and lime
- peach and mango
- pomegranate and lime
- strawberry and lemon
- coconut and strawberry
- mint and lime
2. Buy some pumps for the bottles! SOOO much easier and less messy, and no measuring.
3. Use paper cups, straws and CHILL your sparkling soda. Make life easier.
3. Explain before hand how it works, maybe even make a few signs with measurements. Have the table set up in assembly line format with syrups first, then ice, soda and toppings. Let them go at it a try all their own combinations.
Italian Soda Recipe FAQ's
Italian sodas are made from flavored uncaffinated syrups, where as many sodas- even root beer, has caffeine. There is also a much larger variety of flavors from caramel to pumpkin, to strawberry to peach. You can mix these together and create a more fun, unique flavor.
No! A little goes a long way. Once you have the syrups they will make 100's of drinks. Club soda ranges about $1 Per bottle, and the cream is only a couple of dollars for a large container- which also goes a long way.
YES! Torani makes many many sugar free syrups. You will need to add more flavor - the sugar free syrups are not a thick liquid like the sugar syrups.
YES! All the ingredients are gluten free. It's also very easy to make this Italian soda recipe dairy free and sugar free. You can fit it into most allergy and diet plans.
Do you have other fun drinks?
Don't Be Shy!
If you tried this Italian Soda recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t be shy! Let us know! Rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
How to Make an Italian Soda
- 4 tablespoon Torani Flavored Syrups you can mix flavors
- 1 cup Ice
- 16 ounces Club Soda or sparkling water
- 1 tablespoon Cream either Heavy or Whipped
- Maraschino Cherries and other toppings like limes, lemons, fruit, pineapple
- Using a tall clear glass, add in any combination of flavored syrups about 3 tablespoon of syrup total.
- Add in ice.
- Fill with club soda or sparking water.
- Top with a little drizzle of heavy cream or mound of whipped cream.
- Top with a maraschino cherry or other toppings coordinating with your flavors.
- Swirl gently with a straw before drinking.