Easy Pumpkin Muffins made using ONLY a cake mix, a can of pumpkin, and chocolate chips. I know you're skeptical. Come on. No oil? No Eggs? It is TRUE! These pumpkin cake mix muffins produced the most delicious and moist pumpkin muffins made in a snap.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
These pumpkin chocolate chip muffins is perfect as a dessert or breakfast. The result is a dense and soft muffin that is sweet and delicious. You're going to come back to this recipe over and over because:
- It has 3 ingredients - it really doesn't get easier than this!
- The results are fool proof and delicious
- From start to finish you are done in 30 minutes. So simple!
- The recipe is easily customized (More details below).
About The Ingredients
All of the ingredients for this recipe can be picked up on the baking aisle at your local grocery store.
- Canned pumpkin - this acts as the binder and is used in place of the oil in the recipe. Make sure you get pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie fillling.
- Yellow cake mix - in place of flour, sugar, and levelers. Use your favorite brand - I like Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker.
- Chocolate chips - I like to use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can also use dark if you prefer.
For the full list of ingredients and exact quantities for these perfect pumpkin muffins, check the recipe card further down on the page.
How To Make Easy Pumpkin Muffins
This cake mix muffin recipe comes together so fast. Let me show you just how to do it:
Prep: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, add your cake mix.
Step 2: Add in canned pumpkin puree.
Step 3: Using a hand or stand mixer, mix together completely.
Step 4: Stir in chocolate chips.
Step 5: Scoop ¼ cup batter into muffin cups. I like to use an ice cream scoop to portion it out.
Step 6: Prepared muffin cups should be filled to the top.
Step 7: Bake for 15-17 minutes.
Step 8: Cool on a wire rack.
This recipe is easily customized. Here are a few ideas:
- Change up your cake mix: this recipe works with yellow, white, spice, and even chocolate cake mix. All are delicious in this pumpkin muffins recipe.
- Mini size: For small muffins, you can eat in one or two bites, use a small muffin tin and follow the same instructions for filling it. Bake in the oven for ten minutes. Then check for doneness and extend the cooking time as needed.
- Add a crumb topping: Mix butter, flour, sugar, and cinnamon together and top muffins before baking.
- If you aren't using cupcake liners, don't forget to spray the muffin tin! It definitely makes cleanup a whole lot easier and also your muffins will easily come out of the pan.
- Use an ice cream scoop to portion cake mix muffins batter into muffin tin.
These muffins will keep at room temp, when stored in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
Pumpkin puree is just pumpkin. Pumpkin pie filling has additives, spices, and a different consistency that pumpkin puree. Make sure you are using the pumpkin puree in this recipe.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
Easy Pumpkin Muffins
- 15 ounces can of pumpkin *not pumpkin pie filling
- 16.25 ounces box of yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray, or line with cupcake liners.
- Mix the pumpkin and cake mix together with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Put about ¼ cup of batter in each muffin cup. I use an ice cream scoop to measure mine.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
Super easy, super tasty recipe. I had mini chips in the cupboard and they worked perfectly.
How many muffins does this recipe make?
It makes 12
Just wanted to let you know that the recipe card says 1 can of pumpkin, but the description at the top says 2 cans of pumpkin. Your response to someone else’s question says 1, but it also confused me when I read it. I’m going to try it, thanks for the recipe!
What they type of chocolate chips where used in this recipe?
Samantha Polski says
We made these for Thanksgiving and everyone loved them! They are light and fluffy and so easy to make!
Does it require 1 or 2 cans of pumpkin?
It requires a 15oz can of pumpkin as noted in the recipe card.