This is my go to way of cooking Instant Pot quinoa. I love quinoa and its health benefits! I especially love adding quinoa to all my salads. It’s light, fluffy can be basically flavorless- but adds a ton of protein to your meal to make it a little more filling with our making it less healthy. I’m showing you how to make instant pot quinoa – the PERFECT quinoa you’ll ever make. It’s easy and fast! After its cooked toss it with your favorite salads! (like the quinoa caprese salad pictured below.)
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa is a seed! When cooked just right it turns into fluffy little balls of amazingness. Quinoa is low-carb, high in protein high in iron, potassium and calcium. It’s also gluten-free! It’s such a healthy alternative to a lot of starches. We love it at our house, even the kids!
How to make instant pot quinoa
Quinoa has got to be the easiest thing to make in the instant pot, even easier than rice! Here are a couple of tips:
- Double check your quinoa instructions- sometimes they need to be rinsed before cooking!
- Put a little EVOO or Avocado oil in the pan BEFORE adding the quinoa to prevent the starches sticking to the bottom of the pan. (this works for rice too!)
- Cook it with broth! Quinoa needs that little flavor boost.
- Dont walk away from your instant pot because this cooks wicked fast!
How to make Summer Quinoa Salads or quinoa bowls?
There are millions of different combos for quinoa salad and bowls. You really can add quinoa to any salad or anti-pasta salad you wish! Here are some of my other favorite ones- Mexi-Quinoa bowl , or this sweet potato arugula salad (it’s deadly… it’s that good!) to this Rainbow Quinoa Salad.
But today I’m taking the traditional, ever loved caprese salad and changing it up just a little bit to a quinoa caprese salad.
Quinoa Caprese Salad
Caprese Salad calls for very few ingredients 1. fresh mozzarella, 2. fresh basil, and 3.ripe tomatoes! The combination fo these threes things + some sea salt is heaven in your mouth. When I added quinoa to the salad it was perfection. To make this salad follow the directions of the caprese salad and toss in this cooked quinoa! THAT’S IT!
When I add the quinoa to the salad it add a little sustenance to the salad. It goes from being a party appetizer to a healthy lunch (especially on the go) or even dinner. But don’t get me wrong you can still serve this up as a party appetizer and no one will complain :)
I love to drizzle Trader Joes balsamic glaze over it- such great flavor and pairing. Balsamic glaze is often served over caprese salad.
Fluffy healthy instant pot quinoa
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (rinse if not pre-rinsed)
- 1 cup broth
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
Rinse quinoa with cold water for about a minute.
In instant pot coat bottom of pan with oil. Add quinoa broth and cook high pressure for 1 minute. natural release for 4 minutes then quick release. Fluff with fork.
Serve with your favorite salads, veggies or meats! if serving with a cold salad allow to cool before tossing with cold ingredients.
- Rinse quinoa with cold water for about a minute. Bring quinoa and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Let quinoa cool.