If you are looking for the fluffiest, most flavor and THE EASTIEST way to cook quinoa this is it! It's basically the only way I'll cook it now. Pressure Cooker Quinoa comes out perfect overtime and I'm telling you- its better than stovetop.
WHAT IS QUINOA?
Quinoa is a seed! When cooked just right it turns into fluffy little balls of amazingness. Quinoa is low-carb, high in protein, high in iron, potassium and calcium. It's also gluten-free! It's such a healthy alternative to a lot of starches. We love it at our house, even the kids!
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT KINDS OF QUINOA?
There are three kinds of quinoa
You can find them separate but typically you can buy white quinoa or a tri-color bag of quinoa. The biggest difference I have found between them is not their taste or texture but cooking times. So I've included the different cooking times below.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE INSTANT POT QUINOA?
- OIL OR SPRAY OIL
HOW TO MAKE PRESSURE COOKER QUINOA
- TO START you need to rinse your quinoa. Can you skip this step? Well yes, but you dont really want to. Quinoa has a coating on it that can make your cooked quinoa taste bitter. I recommend rinsing your quinoa until the water runs clear.
- Drizzle little bit of oil and swirl the pan so its coated. You can also spray with a non-stick spray.
COOK YOUR QUINOA IN BROTH
This is really a big game changer for your quinoa. It will just slightly flavor your quinoa and enhance it. Making any salad you are adding it too that much better.
COOK AND NATURAL RELEASE
Cook your quinoa for 1 minutes and let it natural release for at least 4 minutes. You can let it go up to about 10 minutes and then quick release it.
Remove the lid and fluff!
QUICK TIP FOR QUICK COOLING PRESSURE COOKER QUINOA
I usually am anxious for my quinoa to add to a salad. When I want the quinoa ASAP I gently lay it on a clean paper towel. It will absorb any extra liquid keeping it nice and fluffy, while also helping it to cool really fast.
WHAT DO I SERVE PRESSURE COOKER QUINOA WITH?
There are a lot different combos for quinoa salad and bowls. You really can add quinoa to any salad or anti-pasta salad you wish! Here are some of my other favorite ones-
CAN I USE WATER NOT BROTH?
Yes, if you don't have broth, don't want that little flavor boost OR you are pairing it with sweet things you can use water instead of broth.
CAN I MAKE PRESSURE COOKER QUINOA AHEAD?
YES! It is a great to make ahead. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
DONT BE SHY
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to
Instant Pot Quinoa
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (rinse if not pre-rinsed)
- 1 cup broth
- 2 Tablespoon avocado oil or spray oil
Instant Pot Instructions
- Rinse quinoa with cold water for about a minute. Or until water runs clear
- In instant pot coat bottom of pan with oil. Add quinoa broth and cook high pressure for 1 minute. natural release for at least 4 minutes up to 10 minutes then quick release. Fluff with fork.
- Serve with your favorite salads, veggies or meats! if serving with a cold salad allow to cool before tossing with cold ingredients.
TRI COLOR QUINOA
- Cook Tri-Color quinoa longer than white quinoa. Cook for 2 minutes and natural release 10 minutes.
Stove Top Instructions
- Rinse quinoa with cold water for about a minute. Bring quinoa and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Let quinoa cool.