Sweet fluffy coconut quinoa pairs perfect with fruit and even better top the quinoa with a coconut syrup and you and your family will be drooling for second and thirds. It's fast and easy to make and I'm going show you how to make it step by step.
WHAT IS COCONUT QUINOA
Coconut quinoa is quinoa cooked in coconut milk. Quinoa is a small seed that when cooked turns into a fluffy little ball of goodness. Quinoa is low-carb, high in protein, high in iron, potassium and calcium. It's also gluten-free! It's such a healthy alternative to a lot of starches. We love it at our house, even the kids!
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE INSTANT POT COCONUT QUINOA
I SWEAR by making quinoa in the pressure cooker. It is basically fail proof, whereas quinoa can be a struggle over the stovetop. It comes out perfect every time. For this recipe you will need:
- coconut milk
- sweetener like sugar, maple syrup or honey
RISE YOUR QUINOA
To start you will need to rinse the coating off your quinoa. The coating can give your quinoa a bitter taste with cooked, so take 30 seconds and rinse your quinoa until the water runs clear.
DO I USE WHITE OR TRI COLOR QUINOA?
You can use either type of quinoa. They will both cook well with this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT COCONUT QUINOA
- Using a little coconut oil or non-stick cooking spray spray your pan to prevent the quinoa from sticking,
- add in your coconut milk and water
- add your rinsed quinoa and sugar
- stir together
- Cook for 4 minutes on high, and natural release for 10 minutes.
FLUFF AND LET COOL
As the coconut quinoa cools it will thicken slightly. Now you are ready to add it to your salad.
ADD TO A FRUIT SALAD
once your coconut quinoa cooled it going perfectly with a delicious chilled fruit salad! Try some fresh mango, blueberries or any seasonal fruit!
MAKE A COCONUT SYRUP!
Anyone else love mango sticky rice? Well this coconut quinoa paired with mango and berries is a delicious healthier version of mango sticky rice. The coconut syrup is made like a traditional Thai coconut syrup and is SO EASY.
- combine coconut milk, sugar, salt and corn starch
- Bring to a boil for one minute and then serve over coconut quinoa bowls
CAN I MAKE THIS AHEAD?
This salad can be made a few hours before even the day before. However I highly recommend if you need to make the salad more than the day before to prep the ingredients and keep them separated in air tight containers. The day of toss together.
HOW LONG CAN I STORE?
This quinoa salad will keep for a few days in an air tight container in the fridge.
I Love Quinoa! Do you have other recipes?
We do, be sure to check out:
LET'S BE FRIENDS!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to.
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 15 ounces can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar or your choice of sweetener like honey or maple syrup
- non-stick spray or coconut oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp corn starch
- blueberries, raspberries
Pressure Cooker Coconut Quinoa
- In pressure cooker spray pan with non-stick spray. Add in all ingredients and stir. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Natural release for 10 minutes. Quick release and let cool. Coconut Quinoa will continue to thicken as cools.
- In pan add coconut milk and cool water. Whisk in sugar and corn starch. Bring to a boil for one minute. Drizzle over coconut quinoa and fresh fruit.