Bistro Bowl by Fiesta
There are a few things you need to make this salad – the first a nice romaine lettuce, chopped. The second? Crumbled Gorgonzola – so delish! You’ll also need green apples, sliced and chopped, dried cranberries, candied walnuts, and of course – the dressing!
The first 4 ingredients don’t need any additional prep, but the last two do. As far as the candied Walnuts? There is a fabulous recipe here on the blog for cinnamon pecans. I used this recipe – and the pecans were fabulous in the salad! If you want walnuts, just sub them for the pecans – it will turn out great! I’ll give you the recipe again below.
For the dressing, get out your blender – its the easiest way to whip up a yummy dressing.
- 1 package of prepared romaine lettuce
- 1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 green apple diced
- 1 green apple sliced
- 1 cup candied walnuts recipe below
- mustard vinaigrette recipe below
- Candied Pecans or Walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- pinch of ground red pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups whole walnuts
- Mustard Vinaigrette
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 red onion - if you prefer the crunch of the onion in your salad chop these and stir in to the dressing later. I like the texture a bit smoother so I include them in the blender
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Toss together lettuce, cheese, diced apple, walnuts, and cranberries. Toss with desired amount of mustard vinaigrette. Garnish with sliced apples.
Candied Nuts Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a frying pan. Heat over medium heat until sugar is melted and nuts are toasted.
Transfer to a lightly greased sheet of tinfoil to cool.
Store in a ziplock bag
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.