Literally the best sticky, fall off the bone instant pot chicken you will ever try! It's tender, moist and full of flavor. It cooks up fast and easy but the last step is what takes this pressure cooker bone-in chicken up another level!
This chicken came inspired from the time I spent in Costa rica, everywhere we ate they served us casados. Rice, beans, plantains, and delicious fall off the bone chicken.
How to make pressure cooker bone-in chicken
For this recipe you can use any of your favorite bone-in chicken cuts. Chicken breast, chicken thighs, my kids LOVE chicken legs. I always grab a packet of legs and thighs, bone-in. You definitely need bone-in chicken to create this recipe and chicken with this sticky bbq flavor and texture. Bone-in chicken is so inexpensive but undeniably the best kind of chicken meat.
Do I leave the chicken skin on?
I like to leave the skin on because it helps hold the juicy, tender meat together, but sometimes the chicken comes with way too much skin. Feel free to trim down the skin. If your preference it so trim it all off thats ok! just be delicate pulling them out of the pressure cooker.
How to cook bone-in chicken in the pressure cooker
It's so easy! You will do this in layers.
- Add 1 cup of water to your instant pot and lay down 3-4 chicken pieces.
- Top with your favorite BBQ sauce. Use your favorite pastry brush or silicone brush and spread the BBQ sauce into all the cracks.
- Lay down 3-4 more bone-in chicken thighs, legs or breast. Add BBQ sauce
- Continue layering this way. I can fit about 10-12 pieces in my 6-qt instant pot.
Seal and cook on poultry setting, or high pressure for 20 minutes. I always natural release my meat to ensure that it will be nice and tender.
How to get the sticky melt in your mouth flavor
Pull the bone-in chicken out of the pressure cooker and place on a lined cookie sheet. Slather a thick coat of more BBQ sauce and broil it high in the oven for about 5 minutes.
I LOVE doing this. It creates a beautiful sticky crust with moist, tender pull apart chicken underneath. As long as you don't broil the chicken for too long it will not dry out.
Plate these bad boys and serve immediately while they are still pipping hot! Serve with any of these delicious sides and make yourself a homemade casado! Pressure cooker black beans, Cilantro lime rice, Citrus slaw, Healthy fried plantains.
Pressure Cooker Bone-In Chicken
- 1 bottle favorite BBQ sauce
- bone-in chicken
- 1 cup water
- In your pressure cooker add 1 cup water. Layer 3-4 pieces of bone-in chicken. Brush BBQ sauce over chicken.
- Add another 3-4 pieces of chicken and brush sauce over. Continue layering until your chicken is done or pot is full. I can fit about 10-12 drumsticks and thighs.
- Cook on poultry setting and slow release. (or high for 20 minutes slow release)
- Once chicken is done, remove from instant pot to a foil lined sheet pan.
- Remove skins (if desired). Brush a thick layer BBQ sauce over chicken. Place in pre-heated oven on broil for about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.