These are literally the best crispy baked potato skins of your life! Why? They are extra crispy, perfectly bite sized and extra quick to make! Topped with cheese, butter, crunchy salt and all the loaded toppings you want...I mean seriously friends, does it get any better than this?
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE CRISPY BAKED POTATO SKINS
- baked potatoes
- sour cream
- crumbled bacon
- chives or green onions
- The skin is a little thinner so they bake up extra crispy!
- Their size is perfect for bite sized eating.
WHAT IS THE FASTEST WAY TO MAKE BAKED POTATOES
- add one cup of water to the instant pot
- place in the wire rack
- add in washed potatoes
- cook for 20 minutes quick release
(if you open the instant pot and the potatoes are not fork tender add 3-5 more minutes and cook again)
HOW TO SCOOP OUT POTATO INSIDE
PROTIP 1: Let the potatoes cool some- you do not need to let the cool completely- you can, but once they are warm to touch you can handle them.
- cut the potato in half
- the skin of the red potato is thin, to ensure it does not rip firmly hold the potato skin with your fingers.
- using a melon baller scoop OR a spoon press the tip into the potato, leaving a ¼ inch ring on the outside.
- Move around the potato cutting a oval
Gently scoop out the center of the potato.
Place the potatoes face down on parchment paper in a sheet pan.
HOW TO MAKE THE BAKED POTATO SKINS EXTRA CRISPY
To make the skins extra crispy before baking you need to add butter + seasonings. Then top them with a delicious crunchy kosher sea salt.
Combine a little bit of butter with garlic powder (or garlic salt).
MAKING CRISPY POTATO SKINS
- using a silicone brush brush the butter mixture onto the outside of the upside down potatoes.
- Sprinkle coarse salt on the outside
Bake for about 7 minutes at 475. LOOK at that crispy bubbly deliciousness.
ADDING THE TOPPINGS TO YOUR CRISPY BAKE POTATO SKINS
- Using the remaining butter brush the insides of the potato skins.
- Add a generous amount of cheddar cheese (sharp is recommended!)
- Add your bacon crumbles
- Top with chives
Place them back into the oven and bake for another 7 minutes, and watch them instantly become drool-worthy.
WHAT ADDITIONAL TOPPINGS CAN YOU ADD TO YOUR LOADED POTATO SKINS?
- sour cream
- ranch dressing
- additional bacon
- chives or green onions
- diced red onion
- try a pepper jack cheese with cheddar
CAN I USE RUSSET POTATOES OR OTHER POTATOES?
yes! You can your larger or smaller potatoes. Bake them, or put them into the instant pot until fork tender. Follow the same steps brushing with butter, bake, add toppings and bake again.
CAN I BAKE MY POTATOES IN THE OVEN IF I DON'T HAVE AN INSTANT POT?
YES! wash your potatoes, rub with a little olive oil and sea salt and place them in the oven.Then follow the steps to making them loaded!
LET'S BE FRIENDS!!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to! And don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later.
Crispy Baked Potato Skins
- 6-8 red potatoes
- 4 TBS melted butter or margarine
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6-8 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
- shredded cheddar cheese
- shredded Parmesan cheese
- coarse sea salt
- sliced green onion or minced purple onion
- Wash and scrub red potatoes. In pressure cooker place 1 cup water and rack. Place red potatoes in and seal. Cook for 20 minutes quick release. If they are not fork tender when finished add a few more minute and cook again.
- After potatoes have been baked cut them in half lengthwise, scoop out the pulp leaving about ¼ inch in shell. BE SURE TO FIRM HOLD THE EDGES SO THE SKIN DOESNT TEAR. (see photo in post)
- Place potato skins flesh side down on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Combine butter, garlic powder.
- Brush over skin.
- Bake at 475 degrees skin side up for 7 minutes. Turn over and sprinkle bacon, cheddar cheese and chicves inside skins and bake 7 minutes(or until cheese is melted).
- Top with sour cream serve immediately.