Creamy and easy queso dip - flavored with tomato, jalapeño, onion, garlic, and green chilies. This Cafe Rio copycat is the perfect dipper for your next fiesta and is the best queso recipe. Pair it with veggies, chips, and tortillas for the ultimate party platter. Made in minutes, this queso will be your new go to appetizer.
This post was originally sponsored by La Tortilla Factory . Photos have since been re-photographed. We still love La Tortilla Factory and use their products.
Why This Recipe Works
The name of this dip is a little confusing - because the meaning of the word "queso" is literally "cheese". But queso as a recipe - refers to the tex-mex dish of melted cheese with spices or salsas mixed in. Queso is usually made from cheeses that melt well - like American cheese. Which is what we will be using for this recipe. This recipe comes together in minutes and is delicious every time.
About The Ingredients
A few notes about the ingredients:
- American cheese- you can use store brand or name brand velvet, but you'll want to buy the block style American cheese.
- Cream cheese - I've tested both name brand and store brand, and I feel that the Philadelphia cream cheese melts a little better and produces a smoother texture.
How Do I Made Easy Queso Dip?
Step 1 In a blender combine onion, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, tomato, lime juice, and canned tomatoes with green chilies.
Step 2 Pulse until blended, with small chunks remaining. Add salt to taste.
Step 3 Combine American cheese and cream cheese in a medium bowl.
Step 4 Microwave for 2 minutes and 30 seconds - strirring every 30 seconds - until smooth.
Step 5 Add ¾ cup of the contents of your blender (save the rest as a yummy salsa!), cumin, and chili powder. Stir until smooth.
Step 6 Return to microwave and cook 30 seconds to marry flavors.
Best Queso FAQ
Queso is most commonly served with tortilla chips, but is is also great with veggies and as a topping on burritos, tacos, and salads.
Essentially, yes. However, most queso recipes have spices and salsas added to them while fondue is a bit thicker and usually just cheese.
Queso has tex-me roots and usually includes spices and salsa. Nacho cheese is generally just melted processed cheese.
You can store this recipe in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, simply microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
Yes! Add all ingredients to a large baking dish, and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Stir. Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes. Stir again and serve.
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
Fresh salsa -If you want to impress your guests - serve this queso alongside this salsa. It is literally the best salsa you'll ever have!
Healthy guacamole - This guacamole is so easy and so delicious. Just load up your tray with dippers and we PROMISE you will have a room full of happy tummies!
Chili Cheese Dip - this is a similar recipe, but uses chili with no beans as the seasoning. If you love queso, you'll love this!
Best Queso Recipe (Cafe Rio Copycat)
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 roma tomato
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 10 ounces canned tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 clove garlic
- salt to taste
- 8 ounces american cheese like velveeta
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Combine onion, roma tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, canned tomatoes with green chilis, and garlic in a blender.
- Pulse until blended, but small chunks still remain. Add salt to taste.
- Dice American and cream cheese into 1 inch cubes. Place in a medium sized bowl
- Microwave cheeses for 2 minutes 30 seconds - stirring every 30 seconds - until smooth.
- Add ¾ cup of blender mixture to melted cheese. Add chili powder and cumin. Stir until smooth.
- Return to microwave and cook 30 seconds to marry flavors.
- Serve immediately.