This pumpkin cake recipe is killer good! Literally the best you'll ever have. It's moist, fluffy, full of pumpkin spice and topped with delicious cream cheese frosting. I have never made this cake without the pan being scraped clean at the end.
Why Pumpkin Cake Works
Pumpkin cake is super light, moist, gently spiced + topped with a creamy yet fluffy cream cheese frosting.
- It comes together in a matter of minutes
- is ridiculously hard to mess up.
- This cake only cooks for 20 minutes and because its one layer it cools fast making it a great cake to make for any last minute plans, or when you don't feel like making an over-the-top dessert but still want something over-the-top delicious.
What ingredients do I need?
- Pure pumpkin- not pumpkin pie filling, you can find this in the baking isle.
- Canola or vegetable oil- this is a key ingredients for light and fluffy + moist
Steps to make this recipe
- add your pumpkin to the bowl
- add your eggs.
- pour in your oil
- Creaming together your eggs, pumpkin and oil.
5. add in your salt and baking soda and powder
6. Mix in your spices
7. While mixing slowly add in your flour and sugar.
8. Mix just until it is smooth and combined.
What do I bake my cake in?
Bake your cake in a half sheet pan. I've used both a standard half sheet pan and one that was slightly smaller (a 10x15). The cake ends up being just slightly thicker, but bakes for about the same time.
Bake your cake
Bake your cake and let it cool completely before frosting.
- Pour your batter into an oiled pan or parchment paper lined pan.
- Spread batter so it is even throughout the pan.
How do I know my cake is done?
When the top of the cake has a nice golden brown top and the middle is firm. You can tell if it is firm by gently touching the middle of the cake. If it depresses and stays down it needs a few more minutes. If the cake bounces back its done!
Can I make this cake gluten-free?
YES! I use cup-4-cup gluten free flour and follow directions as instructed. It will bake up perfectly!
ps I used gluten free flour in this cake pictured and look how amazing it is.
Let's make cream cheese frosting
To make cream cheese frosting you will need
- cream cheese frosting- room temperature
- butter- room temp
- powder sugar
- milk and vanilla
- cream your butter and powder sugar together.
- gradually add in your powder sugar alternating with milk and vanilla
Mix the frosting for a few minutes while it fluffs up. You'll have a rich, creamy fluffy cream cheese frosting.
Once the pumpkin cake is cooled completely add a nice thick decadent layer of cream cheese frosting to your fluffy pumpkin cake!
Cut into large squares (because small ones will never be enough!) and serve to all your guests. Or, eat them all yourself :)
FAQ's about Pumpkin Cake
How long long is pumpkin cake good for?
Because of the cream cheese frosting I recommend this pumpkin cake be refrigerated if you are making it ahead or have leftovers. It will store in the fridge for 7-10 days in the fridge.
How many servings does this make?
In a half sheet pan this will make 18 ~3 inch x 3 inch squares. If you are using a 10x15 sheet pan it will make closer to 12. You can choose to make the portions bigger smaller depending party size.
A Great Holiday Dessert
This dessert cake is great for the holidays not only because it easily feeds a crowd but of its light spiced flavors. It has just a hint of pumpkin and fall spiced without being overpowering. The cream cheese frosting ties it all together.
Try our other delicious dessert recipes!
LET'S BE FRIENDS!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to.
Easy Pumpkin Cake
- half sheet pan
- 16 ounces can pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 1 ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup butter room temp
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 + teaspoon milk
- Combine pumpkin, oil and eggs then mix all ingredients well.
- Spread into a grease cookie sheet
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes
- Let cool then frost with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream together butter and cream cheese. Add in powder sugar, vanilla and milk. Mix together for a few minutes until nice and fluffy.