This is best pumpkin roll recipe ever! Moist pumpkin cake with cream cheese filling, dusted with powdered sugar. The perfect addition to your fall baking. Classic pumpkin rolls can come off as intimidating. They're so beautiful and seem tricky but they are not!! Let me show you HOW easy they are.
Why this is the perfect pumpkin roll!
It's really a simple and fast cake recipe. But thats not the only reason why its the best! While other pumpkin rolls are flat and overly spiced this pumpkin roll is not! its
- Its fluffy! not dense or flat.
- lightly spiced so everyone will love it from kids to adults.
- just right creamy frosting to cake ratio.
Can I make gluten-free pumpkin roll?
Yes! I have made this recipe using cup-4-cup flour and it works amazing. You don't need to change any of the proportions.
What ingredients do I need?
- 100% pure pumpkin. Not pumpkin pie filling. You can find this in the baking isle.
- ginger, nutmeg, clove and cinnamon- while we just use a little of each spice they are essential to the flavor of a classic pumpkin roll. I use ground spices found in the spice isle.
- cream cheese for the frosting. For the full flavor and texture I dont use reduced fat but regular cream cheese.
How to make Pumpkin Roll Batter
- start by mixing your dry ingredients together- add your flour, sugar
- baking powder and soda
- mix it together.
- While mixing add in your wet ingredients.
- add eggs
- and pumpkin
- mix until everything is well combined
How to place in pan so it doesn't stick
while you can generously coat your pan with butter and flour or a non-stick spray I prefer to line with a parchment sheet and then spray with a non-stick spray.
Pro-Tip: place your batter in the pan as evenly a possible.
Bake your cake, and immediately remove from the pan, flip and roll on a powder sugared line towel.
How to reduce cracks in your Pumpkin Roll
The best way to reduce the crack is to roll your pumpkin roll when it is still warm. I like to let it cool for just a few minutes. Then sprinkle a CLEAN flour sack towel or tea towel with powder sugar and flip the cake on top. Be sure to not have a towel that is overly fragrant with laundry detergent.
Let your Pumpkin Roll Cool
Once your roll has cooled make your frosting.
How to make Cream Cheese Frosting
To make cream cheese frosting you will need
- cream cheese frosting- room temperature
- butter- room temp
- powder sugar
- milk and vanilla
- cream your butter and powder sugar together.
- gradually add in your powder sugar alternating with milk and vanilla
Mix the frosting for a few minutes while it fluffs up. You'll have a rich, creamy fluffy cream cheese frosting.
Filling the pumpkin cake
With you pumpkin cake completely cooled you are ready to spread it.
- On a powder sugared surface lay your pumpkin cake out
- spread the cream cheese frosting on the cake
- make sure the frosting is spread out so the thickness is as even as possible
- Gently roll your pumpkin roll up again.
How do I store the pumpkin roll?
Now that your roll is completed you will want to store it in the fridge. Preferably in an air tight container or wrapped in a wrap. Chilling the pumpkin roll a few hours before serving will help in slicing the cake because it will be slightly firmer than if at room temp
If kept in an air tight container, in the fridge it will keep for 7 days
Depending on the thickness of the cake you can easily get 12 slices.
embrace it. The cracks will not chance the flavor or deliciousness of the cake! If you rolled your cake immediately from baking there is a chance that the cake was over cooked causing it to be a little dry.
The cake should be finished at the time the recipe calls for. If your oven bakes hotter or cooler than typical recipes keep that in mind when baking this cake. The cake should be slightly gold brown on top. If you press on the center of the cake and it is firm bounces back it is finished.
Make this recipe? Have questions?
Please let me know if you make this classic pumpkin roll recipe!! I love to hear from those who make my recipes. If you want to keep up with our newest recipes, make sure you follow is on Facebook and Instagram, and make sure to subscribe to our newsletter.
Pumpkin roll sponge cake
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup pumpkin
Cream Cheese Filling
- 3 cup powder sugar
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup Butter
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- Sift flour, sugar and seasonings, and baking powder in a large bowl. Add eggs and pumpkin. Mix until combined.
- Pour and smooth evenly into a standard sized sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375 degs for 12 mins.
- While cake is still warm and sprinkle a light layer of powder sugar over. Invert on to clean tea towel and roll up. Let cool until room temperature or in refrigerator.
- When cooled spread cream cheese filling evenly over inverted cake. Gently roll cake.
- Place on large platter and sprinkle with powder sugar.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled.
- Cream together butter and cream cheese at room temp, add in vanilla and powder sugar. Beat all ingredients till creamy and smooth.
- You will want to roll the pumpkin roll while it is still warm, right after it comes out of the oven! Rolling the pumpkin cake while warm will help reduce cracks.
- Turn the pumpkin roll over on a flour sack towel or tea towel. You want to use a clean (not highly fragrant) towel that doesn't have a lot of fibers that could embed into the cake.
- Use powder sugar on the towel to keep the cake from sticking to it.