BEST IN MY LIFE? really? those are not my words. These are the literal reviews of others I have made these brown butter Rice Krispie treats for. I made them for several get togethers and have had so many people ask for the recipe I'm finally making it official. The worlds best Rice Krispie treats are RIGHT HERE.
Why are these the best Rice Krispie Treats?
There are a few reasons why these are better than your average homemade Rice Krispie squares.
- BROWN BUTTER. The nutty delicious brown butter add depth to the flavor.
- MORE butter. Butter gives it a creamy delicious flavor
- MORE marshmallows. More marshmallows makes these rice Krispy treats nice and chewy.
What do you need to make brown butter rice Krispy treats?
- 10 cups Rice Krispies. You can use name brand or generic. It's exactly an 18 oz box
- 1 cup butter.
- 2 10 oz bags of mini marshmallows.
Can I use Large jet puffed marshmallows?
Mini marshmallow are preferred because they melt faster and evenly. If you have large marshmallows you can use then, just make sure on low heat you melt them slowly.
How do I make brown Butter Rice Krispie treats
To make these delicious marshmallow squares you will need to start by making your brown butter. I make the entire batch of Rice Krispies in a large pot. less dishes. Win. win.
how to make brown butter
- cut your 1 cup of butter into about 1 tablespoon slices. This allows them to melt evenly.
- Cook on med-low heat and stir often.
- The butter will turn a golden yellow and then start to foam.
- When its foam is dense you'll notice the butter is turning a tan. Turn off heat and add your marshmallows immediately
Toss your brown butter with your marshmallows
Add both bags of your mini marshmallows to the pan. Toss in the hot pan. The marshmallows will start to melt and also poof up at the same time. When they are turning soft stir in your Rice Krispies.
Add in your Rice Krispies. I like to add half the batch in first, stir then add the remaining.
Stir just until combined.
If you notice the butters oil is separating slightly its ok! It will all soak in together while it cools in the pan.
Place in a 9x13 parchment paper lined pan
I loved to use parchment paper to line the pans. This makes removing and slicing very easy. If you prefer to not use parchment paper you can use a non-stick spray or use butter on the sides of your pan for easy removal.
Mash down on your Rice Krispies squares
You will want to compress your squares down while they are still warm. This will help them to hold their shape and give a nice chewy texture.
PROTIP: when pressing down on the top of your warm Rice Krispie treats they often are really sticky and want to stay more on your hand than in the pan. Here are some tips
- use your butter wrapper, buttered side down and press on the top of the Rice Krispies with that.
- I personally like to butter the bottoms of my fingers and press down with those.
Thick and chewy marshmallow squares
I mean, we can hardly resist a warm gooey marshmallow square around our house. But a warm RKT will fall all over the place and leave your hand covered in mallow deliciousness. If you don't want the sticky let them cool completely.
Cut into squares. These rice Krispie treats are very thick and chewy (hallelujah) so you can make the squares on the smaller side.
Stale marshmallows- or marshmallows that are not soft but dried out will make your Rice Krispie treats come out hard. They might melt decently, but when they cool the treats will not be as soft and chewy as you like.
Yes, if you have an aversion to brown butter you may use melted butter.
YES! these are gluten-free. Make sure to check your cereal packaging to see where it is processed and it's ingredients as not all brands are gluten free. In general many rice Krispy cereals are gluten free.
Put them in an air tight container or bag. They do not need to be refrigerated.
Need some other easy desserts?
Don't Be Shy
If you tried this Chocolate Fondue or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 large stock pot
- 1 9 x 13 pan
- 1 cup salted butter
- 2 10 oz mini marshmallow bags
- 10 cups rice krispies
- cut your butter into even slices. On med-low heat melt butter. Stirring continuously as it goes from light yellow, to golden to a med brown. When the butter starts to foam it will quickly turn from golden yellow to a tan. Turn off heat and immediately add marshmallows.
- Stir in marshmallows in warm pan and toss with the hot butter. This will start to melt the marshmallows. When the mallows turn melty and starting to puff up add in half your Rice Krispies .
- Stir together, add in remaining Rice Krispies. When just combined place in a parchment paper or non-stick 9x13 pan. Using the butter wrapper or buttery fingers press down on Rice Krispie treats to make them nice and firm.
- Let cool. Cut into squares and devour!