The best dang chocolate chip cookies you will EVER eat! Brown butter dark chocolate chip cookies will change everything you ever knew about chocolate chip cookies. It’s all in the butter.
WHAT IS BROWN BUTTER?
Brown Butter is cooked butter until it turns a golden brown and has a delicious nutty flavor! Brown butter can be used in sauces, cupcakes cookies many possibilities!
HOW TO MAKE BROWN BUTTER
Here are some tips on how to make it and what not to do.
- Use a whisk and stir continuously if you don’t do this you may burn it.
- Cut the butter up into 1-2 T cubes so that it melts evenly and quickly. It will then start to boil and foam. Whisk, whisk, whisk so that it browns evenly. After a couple of minutes, you’ll smell a nutty aroma: yay! You’re on your way.
- Then you’ll notice the butter darkening to an amber color, then you’ll notice browned bits at the bottom. As soon as those browned bits start to increase and get darker, take it off the heat and get it out of the hot pan so it doesn’t burn. Use a spatula and get ALL the goodness out of the pan.
- Place in a container and store in fridge for about an hour so it can get back to a solid for the cookies.
After its a nice soft solid you’ll notice the butter is separated. I like to stir it all together.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I’VE BURNT THE BUTTER?
It should be a nice, amber, dark golden color. If you burned the bits and they’re black, dump them. Taste your butter, and if it doesn’t taste burnt, you can still use it if you’d really like. Otherwise, I’d suggest throwing it away and starting over. Pour it into a small bowl and chill, then use as normal butter!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST EVER BROWN BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Start by creaming the butter and the sugars together! Then while the mixer is still on med speed slowly add in each egg. You want it to mix for about 3-5 minutes so the sugars have a chance to dissolve in the batter creating a nice creamy dough. Mix in remaining ingredients.
Add Your favorite chocolate chips in last and gently mix them into the batter.
WHAT CHOCOLATE CHIPS DO I BUY?
A chocolate chip cookie is only as good as the chocolate chips. Stop buying cheap chocolate chips. I really like Guittard or Ghirarelli chocolate chips, and I’m tellin’ ya. It makes a difference.
CHILL THE COOKIE DOUGH
THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! You MUST chill the dough! This keeps them puffier! When the dough is cold it doesn’t spread as easily and fast in the oven. Plan early in the morning to get the dough made (dough for breakfast?!) so you can have cookies later that afternoon.
When they’re ready roll into a cookie ball!
Bake Cookies until they are just slightly starting to golden on the sides. Remove from baking sheet and onto a cooling rack. You won’t believe the incredible taste in your mouth!
Let Us Know What You Think!
If you tried this Eclair Pie or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
The best dang chocolate chip cookies you will EVER try! Brown butter dark chocolate chip cookies will change everything you ever knew about chocolate chip cookies. It's all in the butter.
- 12 T unsalted butter 1 1/2 sticks
- 1 c brown sugar dark brown yields moister results
- 1/2 c white sugar
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 1/4 c flour
- 1 t salt
- 2 t baking soda
- 1 t cornstarch
- 1 package quality dark chocolate chips
- coarse sea salt for garnish
- Brown butter by heating in light-colored, heavy saucepan, whisking continuously until brown specks have formed and butter has turned to amber color. Remove from heat and pour into small glass bowl to set in refrigerator to chill until solid.
- Cream butter, mix in sugars. Add in eggs and yolk, then vanilla.
- Slowly add dry ingredients without overmixing.
- Chill dough in refrigerator several hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Form dough into balls, sprinkle with coarse sea salt, bake about 11-12 minutes until edges are barely browned. Cool on pan, then move to cooling rack.
makes about 3 dozen cookies