Take your classic Pecan Pie recipe up a few notches by making it a SALTED CARAMEL PECAN PIE. Adding delicious salted caramel adds a deeper creamier caramel flavor that pairs perfect with the crunchy pecans and any creamy topping of choice. It’s an easy pie anyone can make!
WHAT DO YOU NEED FOR SALTED CARAMEL PECAN PIE
The ingredients you will need are pretty simple
- karo syrup
- melted butter
OTHER ITEMS YOU WILL NEED:
- Pie Plate
- Pie Crust
- Salted Caramel
DO I MAKE HOMEMADE SALTED CARAMEL?
OF COURSE, homemade salted caramel is the best. And I will share an easy recipe for you below. But if you are cramped for time you can pick up some salted caramel in the ice cream isle.
STEP ONE: MAKE SALTED CARAMEL
You will want to use a heavy bottom pan to make caramel. Don’t use a cast iron, but a good heavy non-stick or stainless steel is great!
- Add your sugar and water to the pan.
- Over medium heat stir the sugar and water together until it become clear and starts to boil. Do not splash on sides.
- Once it boils, remove utensils.
- Keep the caramel moving by gently shaking and swirling the pan. Do not shake too hard that it splashes on the side. When it deepens to a rich golden caramel color remove from heat.
- Add in the cream, butter and stir.
- It will bubble up, keep stirring.
- While stirring add in vanilla and salt.
- As the caramel cools it will thicken slightly
PECAN PIE FILLING
- In a large bowl crack your eggs and start whisking.
- Add in your sugar
- Combine the dark karo syrup
- Continue stirring and add in melted butter and vanilla
- Set it aside
HOW TO ASSEMBLE SALTED CARAMEL PECAN PIE
- In a raw dough pie crust smooth in 1 cup of salted caramel sauce
- Add in 2 cups of whole pecans
DO I HAVE TO LAY THEM OUT EVENLY?
You do not have to take the time to lay them out perfectly symmetrical. Just add them so they are in a single layer. There is a good chance they will move while baking. Although with the sticky salted caramel as a base they stay in place pretty well.
ADD FILLING ON TOP OF PECANS
Now that you have your filling finished and the salted caramel and pecans in place dump your filling on top.
Now bake your pecan pie!
IS THIS PIE GLUTEN FREE?
If you use a gluten free pie crust this pie will be 100% gluten free!
WHAT IF MY CARAMEL PECAN PIE IS JIGGLY INSIDE?
If you have baked your pecan pie, it is cooled and it is still quite jiggly and even liquid then it is under cooked. The best way to know if your pecan pie is done is when the internal temp of your pecan pie is 200 degrees F.
DO I HAVE TO USE A TRADITIONAL PIE PAN?
You can make your pecan pie in a few different pans, it doesn’t have to be a traditional pie pan. Try making your next pie in:
- tart pan
- cast iron skillet
- mini coccettes
Just remember changing up the size of the pan may make your filling thicker or thinner so to check the internal temp before removing from the oven. Thicker pies will take longer to bake.
HOW DO I MAKE THIS RECIPE WITHOUT CARAMEL?
If you want to forego the caramel in the pie you totally can! Just make the pie without. Layer Crust, pecans then filling. Bake as you would a caramel pecan pie too.
WHAT ARE GOOD TOPPINGS FOR THIS PIE?
Serve this pie with homemade whipped cream or vanilla ice cream and another generous drizzle of salted caramel sauce!
HOW DO I STORE LEFTOVERS?
Place leftovers in an air tight container and store in the fridge!
CAN I MAKE THIS AHEAD?
Pecan pie is a great pie you can bake a day before. Place in the fridge with a cover, remove from fridge an hour or so before ready to serve. Save the toppings for immediately before serving also.
OTHER AMAZING PIES ON OUR SITE!
GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK!
If you tried this Caramel Pecan Pie or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram ad Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
- 2 cups pecans
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup dark karo syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- In a heavy bottom pan, on medium heat, add sugar and water. Stir- do not remove utensil- until the sugar dissolves and it starts to boil. Remove your utensil. Let the sugar caramelize by boiling until it becomes a golden color. Keep the sugar syrup moving by gently shaking and swirling the pan. DO NOT let it splash on the sides.
- Once a gold color remove from heat. Stir in cream and butter. It will generously bubble up. Then add vanilla and salt. Set aside.
- Prepare your 9 inch (or 8 would be ok too) pie by making pie crust or buying a pre made crust. (make sure it is thawed if from frozen section.)
- In a separate bowl lightly beat eggs, and add dark karo syrup, vanilla, sugar, cornstarch and slowly add butter.
- Spread 1 cup salted caramel around on bottom of the pie crust. Add pecans to the caramel then pour liquid over.
- Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Then Turn oven to 350 for another 30 minutes. Internal temp will be at 200 degree F.
- Let cool before serving.
- Serve with whipped cream.