S’MORES PIE GUYS! Sounds incredible right? Toasted marshmallow cream cheese topped with creamy chocolate custard and homemade whipped cream all tucked nicely in a buttery flakey crust.
WHAT IS A S’MORES PIE?
This s’mores pie recipe is going to be your new favorite chocolate pie. I’m telling you it. is. amazing.
- a traditional flakey buttery crust
- toasted marshmallow cream cheese layer (you willl want to eat this by the spoonful)
- chocolate custard layer
- Homemade whipped cream topping
S’MORES PIE STEPS
STEP ONE: THE CRUST
START by baking your crust and set it out to cool. You can make a homemade pie crust, or buy a refrigerated one and bake it in your 9 inch pie pan. If you are looking for the ultimate pie crust recipe we have a pretty famous one right here.
STEP TWO: MAKE THE TOASTED MARSHMALLOW CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- on a baking sheet add your two cups of marshmallows
- on broil lightly toast your marshmallows. You dont want them to be too hard or you will have big crunchy bits from the marshmallows. Just toast them till they are golden brown. a minute or so.
- In a bowl add your cream cheese.
- beat cream cheese
- As cream cheese is beating gradually add powder sugar.
- put your toasted marshmallows into cream cheese
- slowly mix together. Scrape sides with a spatula. Set aside.
HOW YO MAKE CHOCOLATE CUSTARD FOR PIE
Chocolate custard is a delicious delicacy. It’s not hard, but you do need to follow the steps and be patient.
- us a heavy bottom pan
- heat up you cream, half the sugar and salt.
- Dont let your cream boil, just bring it to a simmer.
- WHILE your milk is slowly heating in a separate bowl beat your eggs and remaining sugar together.
- when your cream is hot you need to temper them- so they do not turn into scrambled eggs.
- to temper the eggs slowly drizzle in your hot cream while whisking quickly.
- continue doing this until all the cream has been incorporated. Return to pan.
THICKEN THE CUSTARD
- Pour mixture back into pot and cook over low/medium heat.
- Add in vanilla and cornstarch slurry.
- stirring frequently until mixture has thickened and coats back of your spoon.
ADD THE CHOCOLATE
- You will want to use chocolate chips, or a chocolate bar chopped up, with at LEAST 60% cacao.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave. 30 seconds at a time, stirring in-between. it took mine just about 1 minute.
- Stir the chocolate in. Do not cook the custard anymore.
HOW TO LAYER THE S’MORES PIE
- In your cooled pie crust add
- your cream cheese layer
- chocolate custard
- your favorite toppings
STEP THREE: WHAT TOPPINGS SHOULD I ADD?
I LOVE a homemade whipped cream and some chocolate shavings. You should have leftover cream and chocolate already from making the pie!! easy peasy.
PRO TIP TO MAKING WHIPPED CREAM chill your bowl and whisk in the freezer for 15-30 minutes! This seriously cuts your whipping time in half. I use my stand mixer, add cream, sugar and let it whip till you have stiff peaks.
HOW DO I STORE LEFTOVER PIE?
IF you have leftovers you definitely need to store this pie in the refrigerator. Divide the pie up into slices and put in an air tight container. You can cover it with plastic wrap too.
CAN I MAKE THIS PIE GLUTEN FREE?
YES! ALL of the filling is gluten free! So you just need to make sure you make/buy a gluten free pie crust.
CAN I MAKE THIS ADHEAD?
You can make this pie the day before serving, just hold off on the whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Keep covered and in the fridge.
CAN I JUST MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE CUSTARD?
SURE! If you do just chocolate custard, you might want to choose a smaller pie pan, like an 8 inch. Or double the custard recipe for just a chocolate custard pie. BUT Im telling you, the toasted marshmallow is pretty bomb.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to! And don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later.
A rich and delicious chocolate pie with a layer of and toasted marshmallows.
- 1 baked and cooled pie crust (if you want gluten free pie, use a gluten free pie crust)
- 2 c heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 t salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 oz quality chocolate at least 70% cacao
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 3 T cornstarch dissolved in 3 T cold water
- 2 c marshmallows (about 12 large marshmallows)
- 8 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- 3 c powdered sugar
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 2 c heavy whipping cream
- 4 T granulated sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
Prepare chocolate custard. In a heavy-bottomed pot over low/medium heat, bring 2 c cream, 1/4 c of the sugar, and 1/2 t salt to just a boil.
While cream is heating, beat egg yolks and remaining 1/4 c sugar with electric mixer in bowl until pale yellow and thick.
Temper hot cream into eggs by slowly pouring cream into the eggs and whisking continuously. Continue to pour and whisk a little at a time until all of the cream has been incorporated. Pour mixture back into pot and cook over low/medium heat, stir in corn starch slurry and vanilla. stirring frequently until mixture has thickened and coats back of your spoon.
Chop chocolate and melt in glass bowl in microwave, stirring after 30-second intervals. Pour chocolate into custard, mix well.
Pour into bowl to cool.
Beat cream cheese until creamy. Add powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
Lay marshmallows on foil-lined pan and broil over high heat for a couple minutes, or just until tops are brown. Don't broil too long, or you'll cook the marshmallows and they'll crisp up too much. Use spatula to scrape marshmallows off foil and into cream cheese mixture. Mix until well-incorporated.
Spread toasted marshmallow mixture in bottom of cooled pie crust.
Spread chocolate custard over toasted marshmallow mixture. Chill at least 3 hours.
Prepare whipped cream by beating all ingredients in chilled bowl and chilled beaters with electric mixture until stiff-peaks form. Drop whipped cream over pie, top with chocolate shavings.
Whipped topping is NOT included in the nutritional information since you can use store bought, cool whip or homemade if desired and all have different caloric values.
When blind-baking your pie crust (pie crust baked without filling), be sure to poke crust with fork and/or fill plate with parchment paper and dry beans or rice to prevent crust from puffing up and to keep it flat. Brushing with a beaten egg prior to baking helps create a shiny, crisp exterior that makes spreading filling over it easier to do and prevents the crust from flaking off. I also make my crust perimeter high to account for the shrinking that sometimes happens.
You can make this pie the day before serving, just hold off on the whipped cream and chocolate shavings. You can prepare chocolate shavings early as well, just keep on a plate in the refrigerator.