Strawberry Rhubarb Pie is famous for it’s creamy, tart and sweet filling. Pair it with Grandma’s flakey crust and you have a winner. This is the perfect for any occasion- especially on Thanksgiving when you have a pumpkin pie hater in the crowd.
A Family Recipe
This recipe is my sister-in-law family’s recipe. It’s been handed down, tried and tested. It’s hands down the best! Since sometimes I struggle with finding rhubarb so I’ve altered this recipe so it can be enjoyed all year round and call it our tart strawberry pie!
Use Fresh or Frozen Rhubarb
You can serve this pie when rhubarb and strawberries are fresh in season. Rhubarb is grown in green house and can be found all year round- but I had a hard time finding it. Luckily there is also frozen rhubarb!! I found mine at Sprouts.
Some years I cannot find frozen rhubarb during the Thanksgiving season. To make a sweet and tart pie I substitute the missing rhubarb for frozen cherries! It tastes delicious!
How to make Tart Strawberry Pie
This pie is probably the easiest pie you’ll make!
1.Start by thawing your rhubarb or cherries, slicing your strawberries and mixing in all the ingredients.
2. When the fruit mixes with the sugar and tapioca it will sweat and soften the fruit. While it rests, make your pie crusts.
Keep The Crust Cold!
I use my Grandma’s pie crust recipe. The trick to pie crusts is keeping them COLD. All the tips and steps are in the post linked. Make sure you follow the steps exactly, its not too hard! Don’t be intimidated. Make it ahead and let it rest in the fridge. After the fruit has sat for about 20 minutes place in the pie crust.
How to Make a Lattice Pie Crust
1.Place 5+ strips parallel on the crust.
2. Fold back ever other one.
3. Lay one strip in the middle perpendicular to the other.
4. Fold over the strips folded back.
5. Fold back the opposite strips (the ones that were not folded back first)
6. Place another strip of dough perpendicular. Continue with pattern.
7.Crimp the edges, and trim off excess dough.
8.Brush an egg wash on the top of the pie to help it brown :)
….I cut into mine while it was piping hot! So the pieces are a little juicy in this picture. If you let it cool it will thicken! Perfect with ice cream, or fresh whipped cream!
delicious tart strawberry rhubarb pie
- 2 cups strawberries slices
- 1 lb rhubarb about 3 cups
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp tapioca
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp water
- Cut rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces (about 3 cups).
- Add fresh strawberries.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix to coat fruit.
- Let stand 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare pie crust (See link above for recipe).
- Fill with fruit mixture.
- Dot with butter.
- Put pie crust on top.
- Bake at 400 for 35-40 minutes.
- lightly beat egg and water together, brush on top pie crust before baking.