Rich and creamy coconuty, slightly sweet, a little heat, hearty pumpkin coconut curry. I'll be the first to admit I have VERY high standards when it comes to the ultimate yellow curry. I can be quite picky, and this one takes the cake. It is the ultimate pumpkin yellow coconut curry.
MAKING PUMPKIN YELLOW CURRY
The key ingredients for this recipe are
- a REALLY great yellow (or red) curry paste. You can make your own or grab this one from amazon. It is SO GOOD. I've tried several and this Thai and True exceeded my expectations. I love how clean it's ingredients are too.
- Coconut milk, of course. For less calories you can use a light coconut milk
- Pumpkin Puree*
- Sweet Potatoes or your favorite veggies
- onion, garlic and peppers (I use green bell for a mild flavor but you can use spicier depending on your taste)
WHAT VEGETABLES CAN I USE?
What I love about yellow curry and all the delicious yellow curries from around the world I've tried is basically almost any veggie will taste amazing in it. So pick your favorite! For this curry I love the sweet potato paired with a hint of pumpkin but you can also use
- all bell peppers
- butternut squash or other squashes
WHAT KIND OF PUMPKIN DO I USE?
You'll want to use pumpkin puree for this recipe. It help adds a delicious creaminess to the dish without overpowering the yellow curry flavor. I buy mine store bought... DO NOT BUY pumpkin pie filling because that has other spices like cinnamon, nutmeg etc in it that do not pair with this dish. Purchase plain pumpkin puree, or make your own from a raw pumpkin :)
STEPS TO MAKING PUMPKIN CURRY
Step 1: you'll want to wash and prep all your veggies. This recipe basically takes 5 minutes to throw in the pot once you've got your pan heated. Beautiful right?
- I like my cabbage and veggies rough chopped. meaning larger chunks.
- For squashes/sweet potatoes cut them into bite size pieces to ensure they cook through
- for garlic and ginger you want those minced.
COOKING PUMPKIN YELLOW CURRY
First off use a large stock pot or pan. One you typically make soup in.
- in a little but of oil sauté your onions, garlic, fresh ginger, and peppers on a medium-high heat. Add salt.
- Stir in your yellow curry paste.
- add 2 tablespoon for a mild heat, for more spice add 3 tbsp
- add in your pumpkin puree and stir all together.
Step 5: Turn down your heat to medium and pour in your coconut milk
Once the coconut milk is mixed throughly add in your veggies that will need to be simmered.
- sweet potatoes
- garbanzo beans
Simmer your curry on low for about 20-30 minutes, letting all the flavors to marry and veggies to finish cooking. If you like your curry a little sweet add 2 tablespoon of cane sugar.
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH MY PUMPKIN COCONUT YELLOW CURRY
My family loves to eat this with freshly cooked Jasmine rice. But it is also delicious and a lower-carb option like zoodles. Serving a buttery flat bread as a side is also soo good. (like a pita bread or naan)
WHAT DO I TOP CURRY WITH?
You don't necessarily need to top your curry with anything! But if you want to you can use thai basil, cilantro, cilantro, cashews or peanuts for a little crunch.
Let's Be BFF's!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Pumpkin Yellow Curry
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion
- ½ cup green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon garlic fresh, minced
- 2 tablespoon ginger fresh, minced
- 2-3 tablespoon yellow curry paste I love Thai and True brand
- 1 cup pumpkin puree do not use pumpkin pie filling
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 14oz can coconut milk
- 1 garbanzo beans drained
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 2 tablespoon sugar optional
ONE-POT STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS
- In pan heat oil, saute onions, peppers, garlic and ginger for a few minutes until onions are starting to turn translucent.
- Add in yellow curry paste, salt, turmeric12wa and stir, add in pumpkin puree. Pour in coconut milk. Stir together. Turn heat to a med-low. Add in sweet potatoes, cabbage and garbanzo beans. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for about 20 minutes, until potatoes are soft.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS
- Mix all ingredients in slow cooker except rice. Set on high for 4 hours or low for 6.
- Cook rice in rice cooker or over the stove.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds, cashews, and cilantro.