Skewers are one of our favorite dinners! These rainbow steak skewers are really a staple at our house, and they are such a great way to eat the rainbow and your veggies!
My mother-in-law gave me the greatest tip when it comes to cooking skewered food – skewer all of the one veggie or protein on one skewer. That way you can cook them evenly without burning the onions while cooking the steak. This way you can remove items sooner or later during your grill session and everything will come out perfect! I have adopted this method and I am never going back! When all of the goodies are grilled I pile them onto a tray and everyone serves themselves.
Marinade by Mistake
The marinade and sauce for this dish also came from my mother-in-law, but I made a slight tweak that I originally made to improvise for a missing ingredient – and we ended up loving it even more with my substitution. I like to reserve some of the marinade for dipping at the table.
Skewers for Summer Get Togethers
I’ve served this meal to guests on a number of occasions and these skewers have always been a hit! With Memorial Day right around the corner, you have to try this recipe! I adore outdoor cooking during the warmer months. It keeps the house cool and the kitchen clean. Win Win. Check out our Blue Cheese Herb Butter Kabobs and our Honey Mustard Shish Kabobs for a few other summer cooking’ ideas.
You can alter the veggies to your liking – but my go-to’s are bell pepper, zucchini, pineapple, mushrooms, and canned potatoes. Sometimes I like to toss in some summer squash and some shrimp as well.
Can we chat for a second about this gorgeous sheet pan? Crow Canyon Home is my new favorite. Their pans have me smitten. For all of my favorites from this post check the slider below. I’ve also included my favorite metal skewers.
Tender beef, fresh veggies, and hearty potatoes come together in this perfect summer dinner.
- 1/2 c. melted butter
- 1/4 c. lemon juice
- 1 TBS. Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- 3 TBS. dried chives or 2 TBS fresh green onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 LB sirloin steak cubed
- 2 bell peppers cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 onion cut into bite sized pieces
- half of a fresh pineapple cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 carton whole mushrooms cleaned
- 2 15 oz cans whole potatoes drained
- 2 zucchini sliced
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes. If using metal skewers, skip this step.
- For marinade, in small saucepan combine all ingredients and simmer 5 minutes.
- Skewer like items on same rod--makes for easier cooking. Leave small spaces between all food so they will cook evenly.
- Brush marinade thoroughly on prepared skewers. Repeat just before removing from fire.
- If you'd like to make extra sauce to serve at the table, double sauce recipe and reserve before brushing over kabobs.
- Cook on a grill preheated to medium-high. Onions and pineapple will only take a few minutes, while steak will take about 5 minutes to a medium done.
- Remove all items from skewers after cooking and pile on a platter for serving.