Homemade Traditional Stuffing Recipe
How to make basic stuffing
Step One: The bread!
This is a bread stuffing from scratch. So you will need two loaves of quality white bread. Since stuffing is primarily all bread you really do want to choose a bread with great taste. I love to use an italian or french loaf, or the brand artesno. Tear it into crouton size pieces and lay out on a cookie sheet for about 24 hours so it dries out. Toss the bread every so often.
PROTIP 1: if you forget to leave it out the night before you can dry it out faster by putting it in the oven at 200 degrees. every 20-30 minutes toss the bread so that all sides dry out.
PROTIP 2: sprinkle a little bit of your seasonings on the moist bread before it dries, the flavors of the seasonings will infuse into the bread.
STEP 2: STUFFING FLAVOR!
You are going to want to grate all your veggies so that they evenly spread throughout the bread and cook perfectly with the bread. Grate onion, bell pepper, carrot just with your cheese grater.
STEP 3: STUFFING SEASONINGS
Herbs are what make stuffing so delicious, I mean otherwise it would just be bread right? Sage, thyme, oregano leaves and a good garlic salt and salt are needed!
STEP 4: THE WET STUFF
Eggs help the bread to have a nice fluffy texture and butter helps give it a nice creamy flavor.
This is the only spot that making homemade stuffing inside the turkey or baking outside the turkey differs. When you bake the stuffing inside the turkey the drippings and juice from the turkey body will moisten the bread so you do NOT need to add any broth to the bread and seasonings.
When you bake the homemade stuffing outside the turkey you will need to add broth!
Do I bake the stuffing inside or outside the turkey?
If you are baking a turkey I 100% recommend stuff your turkey! The organic flavor that comes from the bread baking with all the delicious salty turkey flavor is incredible!
How to bake stuffing INSIDE the turkey?
Follow all the steps above EXCEPT do not add the broth. Toss all your ingredients together so it is coated. Open the legs and stuff the turkey cavity completely full of the stuffing. Squish and squeeze it really tight in there!
PROTIP: Check your packaging of your turkey- your turkey might have giblets and neck inside the cavity of the bird. IF so, remove them first and then stuff in the bread mixture.
How to make stuffing OUTSIDE the turkey-
Follow all the steps above, including adding the chicken broth, and stir until well combined. Bake uncovered for bout 45 minutes and you are ready!! Thats so incredible easy right?
Can I make stuffing ahead?
You can definitely dry your bread and prepare all of your ingredients individually. Store them in air tight containers (bread in a gallon bag would be fine, or the bread bag it came in. However, I would not bake it ahead of time however so preserve the moisture inside the bread. Reheating it may cause the stuffing to be too dry.
Looking for other thanksgiving recipes? Try these
- How to Brine a Turkey
- Fried Turkey
- Creamy Mashed potatoes
- Homemade Turkey Gravy
- Candied Green Beans
- Bacon Brussel Sprouts
- Homemade Rolls
- Crescent Rolls
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Keep In Touch!
If you tried this homemade traditional stuffing recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Traditional Homemade Stuffing
- 2 loaves white bread
- 1 onion
- 3 carrots
- 1 green pepper
- 2 tsp sage
- 2 tsp oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs whipped
- 1/2 cup melted butter
For baking outside of the turkey:
- 2 cups broth chicken or veg
Instructions for Stuffing INSIDE the turkey
- 24 hours before making the turkey tear the loafs of bread into small pieces. you can let it dry in a large bowl or on a cookie sheet.
- Now that bread is dried grate (or food processor) onion, carrots, green peper. Combine with spices. 3. Whip eggs and add to melted butterPour veg/spices and butter mixture over bread and stir till coated.
- Stuff into cavity of turkey....really sqeeze and squish in there.
Instruction for baking Stuffing OUTSIDE of turkey
- 24 hours before making the turkey tear the loafs of bread into small pieces. you can let it dry in a on a cookie sheet. When dried completely Place in large bowl.
- Grate onion, carrots, green pepper and combine with spices.
- Whip eggs and add to butter.
- Pour both mixtures over bread.
- Pour in broth Mix well.
- stir until coated very well.
- Place in a lightly greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake 325°F (160°C) for 1 hour- or until top is slightly brown.
- Use a good quality and great tasting bread. Like french or italian bread, or I like the brand Artesno.
- If you half this recipe it will feed about 6-8 people, You can bake it in a large pie dish or 8x8 pan.