Perfect tender potatoes in a creamy gourmet cheese sauce. This au gratin recipe is so easy yet flavorful you won’t believe your taste buds. It’s the perfect side dish all year round- with family gatherings, parties, holiday dinner or BBQ’s. Such a crowd pleaser.
WHAT ARE AU GRATIN POTATOES?
AU GRATIN potatoes is a dish with thinly sliced potatoes and a cheesy cream sauce. The cheese typically is a gruyere cheese, which I use, plus a little cheddar. The difference between Au Gratin potatoes and Scalloped potatoes is scalloped is just a cream sauce with no cheese. But we LOVE cheese, so we’re throwing that in there!
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS AU GRATIN POTATO RECIPE
- potatoes (russet or yukon gold)
- cheese (gruyere and sharp cheddar)
- butter, milk and flour (for roux, can use GF flour)
PREPARING YOUR POTATOES
STEP ONE: scrub your potatoes nice and clean. If desired you can peel your potatoes too. I love the texture of potatoes skins so I choose to leave them on.
STEP TWO: thinly and evenly slice your potatoes. If you have a mandolin use it! Those are great for evenly, quickly cutting your potatoes. Otherwise using a sharp chef knife works great and helps you keep control of the large stiff potatoes.
HOW TO I LAY THE POTATOES?
Grease you pan, just to ensure your potatoes won’t stick.
You can lay the potatoes two ways.
- Lay them flat and create layers with the cream sauce.
- Stand them up (as pictured)
CREATING AN EASY CHEESY AU GRATIN CREAM SAUCE
We start by making a roux.
Melt your butter, and whisk in your flour. Let it bubble for just a minute or two so the flour taste will cook out.
CAN I MAKE THESE GLUTEN FREE?
I have used gluten-free flour (cup-4-cup) and had great success! so yes! because it’s only a small amount of flour I think most gluten-free 1 for 1 flour will work great.
While the pan is still hot (on medium heat, you don’t want the milk to boil and scald), whisk in the milk. When the texture is smooth turn the heat down and add in your mix-ins
- cheddar cheese (sharp is recommended)
- gruyere cheese
Stir it all together and pour sauce over your potatoes.
MAKE SURE THE SAUCE IS SPREAD THROUGH THE POTATOES
If you are laying your potatoes flat just layer a little sauce through the plates.
If you are standing your potatoes up, like pictured, I gently separate the potatoes to let the sauce seep in-between some of the potatoes.
Bake the potatoes and serve hot! Feel free to top with more chives, bacon and cheese. never too much cheese.
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE THESE GOURMET AU GRATIN POTATOES WITH?
These au gratin potatoes would go great with
We Want To Hear From You!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Gourmet Au Gratin Potatoes
- 5 cups sliced thin Potatoes about 5-6 medium potaotes
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour can use gluten free flour
- 2 cup milk 2%
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere Cheese
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese sharp
- 1/2 tsp Garlic salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 5 pieces bacon cooked and crumbled
- Scrub potatoes and cut out any impurities. Slice potatoes thinly, mandolins are handy with this.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter and whisk in flour. Let bubble for 1-2 minutes on med heat. Whisk in milk. When sauce is smooth, add in cheese, salts, parsley, bacon, chives.
- Grease a large baking dish (9x13). Place potatoes in. Pour sauce over. Slighty shift the potatoes to help cream evenly distribute and coat the potaotes.
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees F for 25 mins.
- Serve warm.