Yes, I’m an Idaho girl. From 10 on I was raised in potato country. I’ve lived here in Cali for the last almost 5 years and totally loved it! We will be heading back to Idaho soon and as excited as I am, it really breaks my heart to leave what has become a second home for us. Palm trees will be in my dreams. Mountains and snow.. here we come!
In reality, I really do love Idaho. Fresh crisp air and broad sky’s. The people are active and happy, really a great place to raise a family, and that’s what its all about. As long as I can remember we have had family dinners with loads of mashed potatoes. Roasts, salads, and mounds of taters.
With Easter around the corner, I was thinking of a new way to fix up the traditional potatoes. A dressed up version of Au Gratin Potatoes seemed right.. so I came up with this baby. Gourmet Au Gratin Potatoes filled with Gruyere Cheese and topped with Fresh Parsley. Really a beautiful dish. Gruyere cheese has a nice sweet aroma to it, making the flavors really come together.
The ingredient list is pretty simple, but don’t substitute. Half of the reason it is gourmet is because of the expensive cheese. Yes, it is price but compared to a gourmet restaurant dinner, this is nothing and the flavor is amazing. I know all of you lean-eaters out there are looking to substitute the cream as well. Don’t do it! You want this dish to be creamy, not watery! If your counting calories just eat a smaller portion! Keep the quality ingredients. If your all raw right now, well my friend, respect to you. Really. But this dish just isn’t for you.
We are going to slice our potatoes as thin as your skill and patience will let you. I leave my skins on.. more nutrients. Did I mention we are using coriander and nutmeg? Yes.. and it tastes amazing. Three layers of potatoes and cheese covered in cream. It is an indulgent dish for sure.
Broil up the cheese to a gold crisp and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley. This recipe is great because is it gluten-free and vegetarian friendly. However, I did make it with some chopped turkey bacon mixed in the layers once. Amazing… not necessary but wow. It was good. I hope you give this recipe a try!
An indulgent, creamy and delicious potato au gratin. This easy side dish is great for any occasion made with gruyere cheese and topped with fresh herbs.
- 5-6 Potatoes
- 1 1/2 C Heavy Cream
- 1 + C shredded Gruyere Cheese
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Handful of chopped fresh Parsley
- Salt and Pepper
- optional: crumbed turkey bacon
- Scrub potatoes and cut out any impurities. Slice potatoes thinly, mandolins are handy with this.
- In a bowl, whisk coriander, nutmeg and garlic powder into cream.
- Grease a large baking dish (9x13). Make a single layer of potatoes, overlapping occasionally.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and 1/3 of the cheese. If using bacon, ad a little here too.
- Repeat 2 more times with remaining ingredients so that the last of your cheese is on top.
- Pour cream over evenly.
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees F for 25 mins.
- Turn on Broiler, and cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before topping with fresh parsley.
- Serve warm.