This is the ultimate sprite chicken recipe!! A simple homemade lime chicken marinade infuses chicken with bold lemon lime flavor while also tenderizing the chicken! It's the citrus marinade that creates this flavor bomb and I'm sure once you've tried it, you will never go back.
If you're looking for the best way to flavor chicken either for grilling outdoors or meal prepping for your favorite salads, chicken wraps, or other easy weeknight meals, this lemon lime chicken marinade is it!
You may also know this marinade as "7up chicken" or "Sprite chicken" marinade because it uses a can of lemon lime soda in the marinade.
It's simple to make and uses easy ingredients! You'll be using this lime marinade for chicken all summer long to make chicken recipes the whole family will love!
Why You Will Love This Grilled Chicken Marinade
- Fresh flavor! Lime juice and Sprite work miracles to create flavorful citrus marinade for chicken.
- Simple ingredients! Five ingredients plus your favorite cut of chicken.
- Perfect summer chicken recipe!
Grab your chicken and a few other simple ingredients and you're ready to go! Here's what you need:
- Lemon lime soda: You can use Sprite, 7-Up or a generic brand of soda.
- Soy sauce: Use tamari or coconut aminos for a gluten-free marinade.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic for the best flavor!
- Oil: Aids in the cooking process!
- Lime: Fresh lime juice adds the perfect amount of acid to balance the sweetness of the soda.
How to Make Lime Chicken Marinade
Making garlic lime chicken starts with the easy citrus chicken marinade. Here are the main steps involved!
- Place your chicken in a large bowl or gallon size bag. It can be whatever works for you but you want something you can submerse your chicken in and keep it air tight while the chicken marinates.
- Add the oil over the top of the chicken.
- Next the soy sauce.
- Then comes the garlic.
- Grab your can of Sprite or other brand of lemon lime soda.
- Pour it over the chicken.
- Grate the peel of your lime.
- Squeeze the lime juice into the marinade. Cover the bowl of chicken and place it in the refrigerate for at least six hours to marinate.
How to Cook Marinated Chicken
- There are several ways to cook your marinated chicken!
- Bake it in the oven at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
- Grill it on high for 9-10 minutes on each side.
- Smoke the chicken for about 30 minutes at 350° F. I flipped mine about half way through and double checked the internal temp to make sure it didn't overcook.
- Stove top on a grill pan over high heat for 9-10 minutes each side.
PRO TIP: Keep in mind but these are only suggested heat and cooking times. You may need to adjust it based on your cooking materials and the thickness of the chicken.
- Use a thermometer to check the temperature of your chicken to determine doneness. You want to cook it until it registers 165° F.
- Remove the chicken from the heat and let it rest before slicing and serving.
How to Serve Lime Marinated Chicken
Serve up this lime marinated chicken as a main course with your favorite sides or use on top of salads, like this tropical salad, or other dishes!
A great pairing for this grilled chicken is a creamy healthy broccoli casserole!
- Give the chicken time to marinate. We recommend at least six hours but if you can let it sit overnight that's even better!
- Try this marinade using different citrus fruits! It works great with lemon and orange too!
- Chicken in lime citrus marinade can be cooked in the oven, on the grill, smoker or stove top!
Yes, if you are marinating the chicken for more than one hour then you will need to place your chicken in the fridge to marinate.
You will want to marinate at least 30 minutes, but I highly recommend longer than that. Up to 6-8 hours or overnight is best.
Yes, if you need chicken for meal planning or for party planning you can marinate the chicken up to 24 hours ahead of time. Alternatively, you can also cook the chicken completely and store it in the fridge after cooking. You can use it to add to other recipes that call for cooked chicken and enjoy it sliced on a sandwich or salad.
The carbonation infuses into the chicken making it incredible tender and juicy after its cooked. You will totally be able to tell the difference. It tenderizes and adds moisture (as well as flavor) to each chicken breast.
More Chicken Recipes
If you're looking for more delicious recipes - you have to check out this Hibachi Steak! So dang good!
Keep In Touch!
Love this recipe?! Want more Oh So Delicioso in your life? Follow us on facebook or instagram!! We'd love to become friends and get to know you!
Lime Chicken Marinade for Chicken
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup lemon lime soda
- juice of one lime
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 limes lime zest
- Combine all ingredients in a large gallon bag, bowl or flat pan. Cover.
- Allow to marinate in the fridge for 6-8 hours or overnight if possible.
- Cook chicken as desired. Make sure internal temp of chicken is reached at 165 and remove from heat. Let rest and serve.
- There are several ways to cook it. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, grill on high for 9-10 minutes on each side, smoke for about 30 minutes at 350 (I flipped mine about half way though, and double checked the internal temp), or stove top on a grill pan over high heat for 9-10 minutes each side.