If you are looking for the best summer salad recipe then you’ve come to the right spot. Crisp fresh lettuce, crunchy apples, sweet mangoes, creamy avocados, juicy cucumbers topped with the best basil vinaigrette of your life.
WHAT IS A SUMMER SALAD
This summer salad includes fruit and veggies that are in season during the summer. While you can now find most of these all year long this salad is especially perfect and refreshing during the summer with the cool fruits, fresh basil dressing and grilled chicken.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE THE BEST SUMMER SALAD?
You will need to whip up a basil Vinaigrette but for the salad you need
- mixed green
- green apple
- red onion
- slivered almonds
HOW DO I MAKE THE BASIL VINAIGRETTE
Basil Vinaigrette is really easy and whips up in minutes. You basically throw everything into a blender or food processor and blend.
- take your oil and red wine vinegar and place into the blender first. Liquids first for blending the best.
- add your shallot, garlic and basil.
- add your salt and red chili flakes
Blend everything together! This stuff is so dang good you will be drizzling it on everything.
ASSEMBLE YOUR SALAD
CUT all your veggies and fruits into bite size pieces and start layering the salad.
TIPS FOR CHOOSING THE BEST FRUITS AND VEGGIES
- MANGOS are the most ripe when they are tender to the touch.
- AVOCADOS- if you remove the stem and its a green its ready! if its yellow or black its either not ready or over ripe
- CUCUMBERS- when choosing cucumbers in the store make sure they are nice and firm.
DO I HAVE TO TOP WITH MEAT?
NO, if you want a meatless salad you can serve with loads of fruits and veggies topped with the basil vinaigrette.
DO YOU HAVE A GREAT GRILLED CHICKEN RECIPE?
CAN I MAKE THIS SALAD AHEAD OF TIME?
yes! keep the meat and dressing aside. Store in the fridge in an air tight container. Add chicken and dressing right before serving.
HOW DO I SAVE LEFTOVERS?
To save leftovers store in an airtight container. You can remove the avocado if you are worried about it going brown. If it already has dressing on it eat with in 1-2 days. If it doesn’t have dressing it will save a little longer.
the best summer salad
- Mixed Greens
- 2 grilled Chicken Breast cut into strips
- 1 Mango sliced or diced
- 1 Green Apple diced
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 C Shredded Carrots
- 1/4 a Red Onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 C slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1 small shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Wash and cut as desired mango, cucumber, avocado, red onion, carrots and green apple.
- Previously grill chicken, let cool and slice.
- Toss mixed greens fruit and veggies.top with chicken and serve with basil dressing.
- Add oil, red wine vinegar and the remaining ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.