I needed a side dish for some coconut chicken I was making and was totally stumped. I had some mango salsa sitting in the fridge from some fish tacos I’d made and BAM. It hit me. Don’t you love it when the food gods smile down on you? Oh, I do.
This is suuuuuuuch an easy meal to prep beforehand. Make your salsa and thai peanut dipping sauce and slice the veggies at some point in the week, or in the morning, whatevs, so all you have to do is roll the rolls and you’re ready for dinner!
WORKING WITH RICE PAPER
Have you ever worked with rice paper? It’s a transparent, thin, brittle circle that comes in a package of multiples, like tortillas. You’ll find them in the Asian section on the shelf. I sent my husband to get them for me and he was successful, so I’m totally confident you can find them too.
Dip them in a pie plate of water for about 10 seconds, layer your veggies, and by this point the paper should be soft and pliable. If you were to accidentally get distracted and leave a paper in the water and you come back a minute later, you might find it completely floppy and about disintegrated. Trash. Oops.
THAI FLAVORS FTW
The cool, crunchy veggies and the tangy mango salsa AND THIS PEANUT SAUCE. So many flavors: it’s got creamy, spicy, a hint of sweet and sour and salt….all of the Thai goodness you’d want. I had doubled this recipe and have leftover sauce in my fridge waiting for some noodles and chicken and veggies for dinner. It’s so good!
Refreshing mango salsa summer rolls served with a thai peanut dipping sauce, perfect for summer!
- 1/2 cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 carrot thinly sliced (or a bag of shredded carrots)
- 1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 c purple cabbage thinly sliced
- rice paper rolls in the Asian section on the shelf
- 1 mango diced
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/4 purple onion minced
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 jalapeno minced (seeds removed)
- heaping 1/2 c chunky peanut butter
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 3 T soy sauce
- 2 T honey
- 1/2 t ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 T cream of coconut or coconut milk if you can't find cream of coconut
- sriracha to taste
- garnish with chopped peanuts and cilantro
- Make mango salsa by combining all ingredients and letting marinate in fridge for a couple of hours, preferably overnight.
- Prepare dipping sauce by combining all ingredients in food processor. Also let rest in fridge a couple of hours, preferably overnight.
- Assemble summer rolls by filling a pie plate with room temperature water. Submerge rice paper in water for about 10 seconds. Lay on parchment paper, or other non-porous non-stick surface. Layer sliced veggies and mango salsa on outer edge of paper circle. By now, the rice paper should be soft and pliable, yet hold its shape. Tightly roll veggies as you pull the paper taut. Fold ends in like a burrito, then continue to roll until all of paper has been rolled in.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce garnished with crushed peanuts and cilantro.
It's not necessary to let mango salsa and dipping sauce marinate in fridge before using, but it is ideal! ALL OF THE FLAVORS!