If you follow us on instagram you'll know I'm completely addicted to these crispy sweet potatoes & dipping sauce. A good friend made them for us at dinner a few months ago and I can't stop (wont stop) eating them. It's a healthy, seriously tasty snack, side or any meal.
I've been making these in the oven- until recently I received an air fryer oven and tried them out in there. SOLD! It cooks them in half the time to a crispy tender perfection.
What is an Air Fryer?
If you really want to know everything about an air fryer you need to read this post. It'll help you decide what to get, what it can do and why. An air fryer is basically a mini convection oven. Because it is such a small space the air is able to get HOT VERY FAST, it circulates around the food and cooks it quickly, creating a crispy outside without drying everything out on the inside.
We have a Power Fryer oven. Which I highly recommend over the air fryers with a larger drawer type compartment. The shelves help with cooking everything evenly and allowing the air to crisp up all the edges from top to bottom. as you can see above.
How to make crispy sweet potatoes
- Peel sweet potato
- Slice a couple cm thick (you want them thin, but not paper thin or they'll burn on the edges too fast)
- Generously coat the sweet potato in avocado oil or evoo
- COOK! you'll want to layer them single layer. (if you don have an air fryer you can make them in an oven! single layer on parchment paper on cookie sheet.)
How long do you cook the sweet potatoes?
When I cook these sweet potatoes on only one rack I'm able to get them done in about 7 minutes without flipping them half way through. When I put several racks in the air fryer I do need to cook them longer and flip them half way though. Probably about 7-10 each side.
If you cook them in the oven, it is 10 minutes-flip-10 more minutes.
This dipping sauce is a MUST! you cannot have one without the other...I"m telling you. These crispy sweet potatoes & dipping sauce are MFEO! (made for each other.)
It's so easy, and really, you don't have to measure. If you like more mustard put in more mustard. If you like more mayo go light on the mustard. My biggest tip is to not skimp on the quality of mayo! I personally like Trader Joes or Hellman's.
As for the mustard, you can use just about any brand. It needs to be regular yellow mustard but adding some dijon mustard with regular yellow mustard adds a delicious flavor to it too!
Sweet potatoes and Dipping Sauce
- 1 sweet potato
- 3-4 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon mayonaise
- ½ teaspoon mustard optional you can split the mustard ¼ teaspoon yellow mustard ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Peel sweet potato and slice thin, about 2-3 mm thick.
- Toss in oil and lay in single layer on rack of air fryer.
- If baking lay single layer on parchment paper on cookie sheet.