Let me share with you a few things that I love.. one is arugula. Along with pasta, tomaotes, basil and bell peppers. Oh and paremsan cheese. I looove these things individually. And when combined. Oh my. That would be my dream dish right there. And guess what… I made my dream dish. and yes. I loved it. It was everything thing imaginable. Rich and creamy with bold flavor. Healthy yes.. lean maybe not so much. Oh and it had this rich smoky flavor to it that just put it over the top delish.
I created this dish a few months ago and have been making it over and over again perfecting the technique to share with you. Out of the many ways I have made this, I found that it was best to roast one bell pepper, whatever color is your favorite. And roast one Roma tomato. You want to barely roast the tomato. Just enough to get it to starting to soften. 2-3 mins. But roast your pepper until it is mostly blackened. You can do it more that what the picture shows. Then I peel off the black skins leaving behind a few peices (giving you the perfect smoky hint).
I’ve tried simmering the veggies in the stock various lengths of time, with various amounts of stock. But what I found to be the easiest and fastest and resulted in a better texture was just throwing the veggies straight in to the blender with a little stock. The veggies were already soften from the grill and starting to internally cook so simmering just wasn’t necessary. I added a few pieces of basil and pulsed til smooth. Topped it off with a little cream and salt for good flavor. (And pulse to combine) Then tossed the sauce with fresh pasta.
Such a simple sauce and when garnished with the arugula, basil and parmesan..it’s pretty dreamy too.
Rich and creamy with bold flavor. Healthy, too!
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 1 Roma Tomato
- 1/3 cup Chicken or Veggie Stock
- 2-3 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1/3 cup Whipping Cream
- Roast your tomato and bell pepper over a flame or grill. Tomato will roast quickly, only a few minutes. You want it only slightly softened.
- The bell pepper will take longer, roast until most of the skin in charred black. Let cool until you can touch it, peel off majority but not all of the black on the pepper skin. Remove stem and seeds.
- Place pepper, tomato, stock and 2 basil leaves in your Blendtec, or blender. Pulse until smooth.
- Add in cream and salt to taste, for me it was a little less than a teaspoon. The cream is not necessary but is quite delish. Feel free to cut back or omit for a skinny version.
- Pour over whole wheat pasta adding the remaining basil, minced. I love to top my pasta with fresh arugula and shaved parmesan.