Am I right or am I right? I have yet to go, but hear amazing things.
As the new school year has started and summer starts to drift away (well, except here in California), I thought I'd try to bring a little Hawaiian magic to our dinner table. We had this for dinner last night and I couldn't get enough so I had the leftovers for breakfast this morning too.
All I'm gonna say is that Hawaii better make a better stack of tropical pancakes than I just did, because mine were pretty impossible to beat. Trader Joe's currently has this toasted pancake mix and I about died when I came across it.
Or you can try these. The main recipe you'll find here is the Coconut Syrup. I'd seen a lot of different recipes floating around and decided on my own. It seriously MADE the meal. Amazing. I'd eat spoonfuls of this stuff. I'm saving it and pouring it on everything from now on. Chicken, oatmeal, tacos, pizza, I don't care.
And it needs time to chill out before serving.
Drizzle your liquid gold syrup over the heap.
Dig in and dream of Hawaii with me...
Tropical Pancakes with Coconut Syrup
- 15 pancakes
- strawberries rinsed and chopped
- bananas chopped
- pecans or macadamia nuts
- toasted coconut
- 1 stick butter
- ¾ c buttermilk
- 1 c sugar
- ⅛ Tablespoon coarse sea salt
- ½ Tablespoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon coconut extract
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- In medium saucepan, melt butter, buttermilk, and sugar over low-med heat. Boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients, being careful for foaming action the baking soda will produce.
- Pour into secondary container and let cool and thicken.
- Chop fruit and nuts.
- Prepare pancakes.
- Toast coconut in frying pan over medium heat, stirring frequently, careful not to burn.
- Top pancakes with fruit, nuts, syrup, and toasted coconut.
Emily Kemp says
These look so delicious, love the fresh strawberries on top!
Sara J says
That coconut syrup sounds delicious!
Rebecca Graham says
These look heavenly! Must try!