While you're clinging to those last days of summer, I want to share one of my VERY favorite summer side dishes! I'm talkin' about lots and lots of veggies - and grilled right along with your bbq chicken!!! I love veggies of most varieties...I'll pass on a bell pepper, but I'm up for most everything else. This dish is packed with my favorites - but feel free to add in your favorites too! This has been a best loved side dish for those warm nights for a very long time. It pairs perfectly with fish, chicken, and beef...and it always pleases hungry tummies.
Here's what I had in my fridge and pantry for this dish. I threw in carrots, potatoes, zucchini, summer squash, broccoli and cauliflower. For extra flavor I added onion, garlic, and a little bacon. (For a vegetarian version just omit the bacon)
You want to start with a disposable roasting pan. This will save your nice pans from being charred on the bbq grill and will also make cleanup a snap. Chop all of your veggies - making sure your carrots and potatoes are thinly sliced so that they cook as quickly as the other ingredients. Top with a few tabs of butter, lots of seasonings and a few strips of bacon cooked and crumbled. I like to use the pre-cooked bacon that you can heat in the microwave. It saves you a pan to wash.
Cook your veggies over medium heat, covered - giving them a stir once. After about 20 minutes, uncover and cook until potatoes are fork tender.
You'll be left with veggies that are perfectly tender, perfectly seasoned, and ready to be devoured!
I love that rainbow of colors and flavors on my plate...
Make these alongside my three cheese penne!! I promise it's a combo made in heaven!
- disposable roasting pan
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced thin
- 1 large zucchini sliced
- 1 large summer squash sliced
- ¼ onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced,
- 1 crown broccoli cut into florets
- 1 small crown cauliflower cut into florets
- 4 large red potatoes sliced thin
- ¼ cup butter cut into pads
- ½ teaspoon season all
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 slices bacon cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Spray your disposable roasting pan with non stick spray.
- Toss together carrots, zucchini, summer squash, onion, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower, and potatoes. Add to roasting pan.
- Spread butter tabs evenly over veggies.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, season all, onion powder, garlic salt, celery salt and parsley over veggies.
- Sprinkle crumbled bacon over veggies. Cover with foil.
- Cook, covered on a grill over medium heat for about 7-10 minutes. Stir veggies and recover. Cook for an additional 7-10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for 5-10 more minutes longer until potatoes and carrots are fork tender.