Simple & Tasty
About ten years ago I went on the hunt for the PERFECT macaroni and cheese. I didn’t want to hassle with making a white sauce or buying fancy ingredients. I wanted something tasty and simple and when I came across this recipe I knew it is seriously a winner. I’ve been making it ever since and I have yet to serve it to someone who didn’t absolutely LOVE it. My dad claims to not even like macaroni and cheese, but requests this dish every time he visits. I recently made this for a potluck BBQ and it was the only dish where the pan was completely and utterly empty. This dish is perfect at a bbq alongside some baked beans and potato salad.
Macaroni and Cheese Minus the Macaroni
The original recipe called for your standard macaroni noodle, but I like penne. I like the cheese to fill the noodle so you get a perfect cheesy bite each time. This recipe is also wonderful with shell pasta. So choose your favorite pasta and go for it!
The ULTIMATE comfort food- perfect for Fall!
- 12 oz Penne Pasta or Macaroni if you desire
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- 1/4 Cup Butter melted
- 1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 8 oz American Cheese cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shredded (2 cups)
- 2 oz Mozzarella shredded (1/2 Cup)
- 20 Ritz Crackers crushed
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot cook pasta according to directions, drain and return to pot.
- Add milk, butter, pepper, and salt. Stir in Cheeses.
- Transfer to a greased 2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Carefully stir mixture. Sprinkle with crushed crackers and bake 5 more minutes or until crackers are browned and mixture is heated through. (Don't overcook or mixture will curdle)
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Watch it disappear before your eyes.