GRILLED LEMONADE! whaaa? yes its a thing and it tastes amazing. It has a deeper, fuller lemon flavor. Slightly less tart equally as refreshing and sweet as OG lemonade.
FRESH LEMONADE VS GRILLED LEMONADE
I was really REALLY skeptical that they would taste any different at all. We made a batch of fresh lemonade, and a batch of burnt lemonade. Did we taste a difference?
The answer is YES!! There totally was a difference. I mean, it tasted like lemonade but it had a much deeper lemon essence! Which makes sense. This is why we often roast and char tomatoes and peppers for our salsas, or grill pineapples. Did it work for lemons? Totally.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED FOR GRILLED LEMONADE
- SIMPLE SYRUP water + sugar
- GRILLED LEMONS
HOW DO I GRILL LEMONS?
A few different ways to grill lemons. Bottom line you want to heat the lemons and add a nice little char to them.
- on a high heat on a grill
- your gas stove on the open flame
- on a grill pan
Whatever surface you grill your lemons on it works best if it is preheated and hot. Let them sit on the hot surface for a few minutes until they have some nice grill marks. You will notice that the pockets of juice look close to exploding, they're so bursting with flavor.
JUICE YOUR LEMONS
Now that your lemons are heated and grilled they will juice very easily.
MAKE A SIMPLE SYRUP
A simple syrup is just water and sugar (1:1 ratio) boiled so that the sugar dissolves completely. Let the simple syrup come to room temperature, or even chilled before adding to the lemonade.
COMBINE ALL INGREDIENTS
In a 2 quart pitcher add lemon juice, simple syrup and ice cold water (or even sparkling water) together.
CAN I ADD ICE TO MY LEMONADE?
You can, however remember if you are adding ice to the pitcher it will water down the flavor as it melts. I would recommend chilling the pitcher of lemonade to get it cold if you have time. If you are serving immediately you can also make the flavor slightly stronger so when mixed with the ice it will even out.
HOW LONG DOES GRILLED LEMONADE LAST
If kept in your fridge it will last about 7 days!
IS IT SAFE TO EAT CHARRED FRUITS AND VEGETABLES?
There is not any research that says eating charred fruits and veggies are bad. In fact researchers have found that many fruits and veggies lack the components to create harmful chemicals. If you are nervous about the charred parts of your fruit just use the juice, and don't use any of the charred lemons for garnish. I went overboard mostly for beautiful photos ;)
WHAT ARE SOME OTHER GREAT LEMONADE RECIPES?
DON'T BE SHY
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to.
- 6-8 large fresh lemons enough to equal 1.5 cup squeezed
- 4-6 cups ice cold water
- 1.5 cup simple syrup
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 water
- in a sauce pan add your water and sugar. Stir and bring to a boil. When the sugar is completely dissolved and the liquid is clear. Allow to come to room temp.
- If broilinglemons: Turn on broiler and move shelf up to the highest spot in oven. Cut both ends off (this will allow lemons to lay flat) lemons and cut lemons in half.Put lemons bigger side up on a clean foil-lined sheet cake pan.Broil for 15-20 mins or until the tops are blackened (this may take less time depending on your oven)
- If grilling or using a grill pan: Heat up grill on high heat. oil grates. Cut lemons in half and place open side down. Allow to sit on hot grates for about 5 minutes.
- In a 2 L pitcher add 1.5 cup squeezed burnt lemon juice and 1.5 cups simple syrup. Add cold water. You can add less or more water depending on your preference for sweetness and tartness.
- Place in fridge to chill. Serve when cold.
Erin V says
Love the lemon inspiration- so true!