Calming lavender, tart lemons, sweet simple syrup, and bubbly sparkling water come together in this divine sparkling lavender lemonade. It's easy to make and a perfect, spa-like addition to your summer.
What is Lavender Lemonade?
This sparkling lemonade drink is made with fresh lemons and a hint of lavender oil to give it hints of herbs, flowers, and herbs that blends perfectly with the tartness in the lemons.
You may have seen this on the drink menu at Outback Steakhouse, but our version skips the alcohol for a family-friendly sipper you will enjoy poolside, weekend brunches, and more all summer long!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Lemonade + Summer equals a match made in heaven!
- Easy to make using simple, natural, and wholesome ingredients.
- Versatile recipe so you can make it how you like your lemonade!
- A tasty way to deliver the calming benefits of lavender.
What is Lavender Lemonade Made of?
This sparkling lemonade with lavender is super simple. You'll need:
- Lemons: Fresh is ALWAYS best for lemonade.
- Sugar: Heated with water to make a quick simple syrup. You can also use your favorite no-sugar substitute or liquid sweetener such as agave syrup.
- Sparkling water: To give it bubbles.
- Lavender extract: While you can use fresh lavender or dried lavender, I like to use culinary-grade lavender essential oil. I find the lavender essential oil the easiest method to achieve the desired flavor. See the notes below.
- Violet food coloring: Totally optional but it's a great way to make it look more like the color of lavender.
Pro Tip: It's important to use food-grade extract or essential oil. Not all essential oils are created equally and since you are drinking it this is definitely a MUST.
- Blueberry lavender lemonade: This flavor takes even more inspiration from the Outback blueberry lavender lemonade. Muddle some fresh blueberries in the bottom of the glass and add more for garnish.
- Strawberry lavender lemonade: Same as the blueberry but with strawberries instead.
- Lavender mint lemonade: Mix it up with some fresh mint leaves combined with the lavender. They are complementary flavors and work really well together!
- More flavor options: Vanilla, rosemary, and honey are also flavors that work well with lavender and would taste great in a lemonade.
How to Make Lavender Lemonade
Are you ready to make some of this fresh purple lavender lemonade recipe? Here's an overview but be sure to check the recipe card for the details.
- Juice your lemons. Use a large citrus press or a citrus reamer to get the maximum amount of juice from your lemons.
- Combine equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Heat until the sugar is dissolved. Set it aside to cool.
- Pour cooled simple syrup into a pitcher.
- Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice to the container.
- Followed by a few drops of lavender extract.
- Add the food coloring to the pitcher as well if you're using it.
- Pour in the sparkling water and mix it together.
- Serve up the sparkling lemonade over ice and garnish with fresh lemons and sprigs of fresh lavender or other complementary herbs such as rosemary and mint.
How to Store
If you have leftovers, store them in the fridge with a tight-fitting lid. The bubbles will eventually dissipate and you will be left with a still lavender-flavored lemonade rather than a bubbly one.
Can I make this homemade lemonade in advance?
No, not completely. You can juice your lemons, make the simple syrup, and mix up the base in advance but it's best to wait to add the sparkling water right before serving.
Can I make this sparkling lemonade recipe for a group?
Yes, you can! Make as much as you want! I suggest making the lemonade base ahead of time and storing it in the fridge. Serve it in a carafe or pitcher on the counter with a bowl or ice bucket of ice, and sparkling soda on the side.
How to Serve
This lavender sparkling lemonade recipe is perfect for:
- a summer afternoon
- a brunch
- backyard bbq
- Mother's day
- a bridal shower
- a baby shower
Expert Tips and FAQs
- Use a high-quality, food-grade, or culinary lavender essential oil or extract.
- Roll your lemons before cutting them in half to release some of the juices and make them easier to squeeze.
- Add the sparkling water just before serving.
- Serve cold, over ice for the best flavor and temperature.
- Adjust the sweetness or tartness to your own taste by adding more lemon or sweetener.
I think every mom out there needs a little R&R, and this lemonade is just that. Lavender is kind of the Swiss Army knife of home remedies. It aids in: insomnia,
anxiety, headaches, depression, allergies, the common cold, stress, and skin irritations. And that is only naming a few. So why not add a little lavender to your lemonade?
No, not really. Lavender does generally have a relaxing quality and will help produce calming sensations but it shouldn't make you sleepy unless you are already on the sleepy side of things.
More Lemonade Recipes You'll Love
Not only is it beautiful, but it is so unique and delicious! If you love this, then check out our other lemonade recipe:
Don't Be Shy!
If you tried this Sparkling Lemonade with Lavender or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Sparkling Lavender Lemonade
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 drops lavender extract or 1 tablespoon dried lavender or 10 springs fresh lavender
- 1 cup lemon juice about 6 lemons juiced
- 3 cups cold sparkling water
- 1 drop purple food coloring optional
- Create a simple syrup by combining 1 cup water and sugar in a small saucepan. If using fresh or dried lavender add that to your saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.
- using a fine mesh strainer, strain lavender from the simple syrup.
- Combine lemon juice, simple syrup, and water in a 1 quart pitcher. If using extract, add 2 drops of lavender oil.
- Add food coloring if desired.
- Serve with ice and lemon slices.