Last summer I sat on a warm, sunny SoCal beach next to my dear friend who was eating a lunch similar to this Mexi-quinoa buddha bowl. Gosh it looked so good, and I was SO hungry. I love going to the beach all day, soaking in the sun and sea air, but really struggle with a meal to bring for myself! PBJ’s are great for the kids– not me. I struggle in general with coming up with good lunches for myself. So making lunch ahead of time, like this Mexi-quinoa buddha bowl or Kadee’s Burritos buddha bowl, or often I make this veggie weightloss soup too.
This Mexi-quinoa buddha bowl is something ANYONE can make! While the quinoa cooks and chicken grills, I prep all the veggies and toss them in meal prep containers like these and store them in the fridge for a week of meals!
How to Assemble:
I love to make these Mexi-quinoa buddha bowls early in the week, eat one serving for lunch and pack up the rest for the remaining days in the meal prep storage containers. It’s easily thrown together in 30 minutes or less! A quick, fast meal full of crunchy veggies, fresh herbs, and savory quinoa + the lime and avocado are icing on the cake. So filling and satisfying! It’s a great salad take to a party or a BBQ. It’s also perfect for any summer outing!
all my favorites from this post (aren’t these bowls the cutest?!!!)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbs Knorrs chicken bullion
- 1 cucumber, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 1+ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime (2 limes quartered, optional)
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- 2 chicken breasts
- seasoning salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a medium saucepan on high heat put 1 cup quinoa and toast for about 5 minutes, constantly stirring. Add 2 cups water and bullion. Bring to a boil, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- When done, lay quinoa on double layer paper towels to let excess liquid drain off and cool.
- While quinoa is cooking, add seasoning salt to chicken breast and grill.
- Chop all ingredients- tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and toss. Add lime juice over the top and toss again.
- Slice chicken and divide into # of meal prep containers (if serving immediately, slice chicken and lay to the side of salad).
- In prep bowls, add quinoa mixture, chicken, and slice of lime. When you go to serve, use cut-up fresh avocado, one half at a time. Cover remaining half with saran wrap and save for the next day's bowl. Garnish with cilantro.