This meal is a staple in our house. I LOVE it. I love how easy it is, how fresh it is, how I always seem to have the ingredients around so when I’m in a pinch or dumbfounded as to what to make for dinner I have this as a backup. The kids not only help eat it but love to help make them.
It’s full of tender chicken, a little bit of cream cheese, spices and a little more cheese. With a crunchy, crispy, salty crust.
If I can remember, I like to put 2 good size chicken breasts in the crock-pot with a bit of green salsa so I can assemble the taquitos as soon as I’m ready to make dinner. Then I heat my corn tortillas up with a damp paper towel for 1:30 minutes, until they are pipping hot.
You have to work semi quickly- you don’t want the tortillas to cool too much. Place as much chicken inside as you prefer…I like about 2 TBS for big taquitos, but if you want to make them more like the kind from the frozen section of the grocery store you can put less.
See that crunchy salt on the top? It is my FAVORITE. Paired with a few fresh toppings and this can be an amazing dinner, appetizer, or just snack!
- 1/3 c cream cheese
- 1/4 c green salsa
- 1 T fresh lime juice
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t garlic
- 3 T chopped cilantro
- 2 T sliced green onions or reg onions
- 2 c cooked shredded chicken
- 1 c grated pepperjack cheese (or any cheese you have on hand)
- small corn tortillas
- kosher salt
- Heat oven to 425.
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine all the ingredients except tortillas and salt. Mix well.
- Place 10-15 corn tortillas on a microwave safe place.
- Cover with 2 very damp (not dripping wet) paper towels and microwave for 1-1:30.Tortillas will be hot! but you need them hot so work fast.
- Place 1-2 T of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, roll as tight as you can. Lay seam side down on baking sheet.
- Spray tops with cooking spray and sprinkle with sea salt (MY favorite part)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are crisp and brown.
- (freeze extras, and to re-heat wrap individually in a paper towel and microwave)
You can double the recipe and freeze the filling. That way you just pull out a batch and thaw it without having to touch a knife or mixing bowl before dinner. PRESSURE COOKER: Cook chicken in pressure cooker--2-3 chicken breasts in 1/2 c green salsa. Close and lock lid and valve, poultry setting for 10 minutes with natural release. Drain liquid, shred, then use chicken as directed in recipe.