Crisp iceberg, spicy pepperoni, fresh basil, salty kalamata, and creamy mozzarella come together in this Italian Chopped Salad Recipe. This is a copycat of the classic Sammy's Woodfired original. Make this salad up in under 20 minutes, and skip the restaurant.
What Do I Need To Make This Italian Chopped Salad?
For the salad you'll need:
- iceberg lettuce (tips for the perfect way to chop your lettuce below)
- fresh basil
- kalamata olive
- shredded mozarella cheese
How Do I Chop A Head Of Iceberg Lettuce?
I love a chopped salad because it is nice and easy to eat. No large chunks, or big leafs of lettuce. It is the perfect fork-full of salad. Let me show you how to chop your iceberg lettuce.
- Rinse your head of lettuce and remove the outer leaves.
- Locate the core of the head of lettuce.
- Press the core firmly onto your cutting board or table. It should break right off.
- Discard the core.
- Cut your head of lettuce in half.
- Make long slices about ½ inch wide, all the way across the halved head of lettuce.
- Rotate your board, and cut ½ inch long slices the other direction.
- You'll be left with a perfect chop of iceberg.
Pro Tip: Use a sharp chef's knife for easy chopping.
Layer chopped lettuce, pepperoni (that has been sliced in half), mozzarella cheese, sliced kalamata olives, and fresh basil in a large bowl. I like to toss this salad in dressing before serving.
Let's Talk About The Dressing
For this salad we'll be making a red wine vinaigrette. You probably have all of the ingredients in your pantry, so don't you dare opt for store bought. Homemade is so much tastier and can be made in minutes. You'll need:
- red wine vinegar
- olive oil
- dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
Making Dressings In The Blender
I love to make dressings in my blender. Of course you can always simply whisk them together, but I find that giving them a quick blend in the blender emulsifies the ingredients and prevents separation after you've prepared it. I use a Blendtec for this, and I LOVE using my Blendtec GO jar for easy cleanup.
The red wine vinegar really adds a nice tang to all of the contrasting flavors in this salad. It's like the icing on the cake.
Don't Be Shy!
If you tried this Italian Chopped Salad or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Crisp iceberg, spicy pepperoni, fresh basil, salty kalamata, and creamy mozzarella come together in this Italian Chopped Salad Recipe. This is a copycat of the classic Sammy's Woodfired original. Make this salad up in under 20 minutes, and skip the restaurant.Print Rate
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 head iceberg lettuce chopped
- 1 ounces pepperoni slices cut in half
- ¼ cup mozarella cheese shredded
- ⅛ cup kalamata olives sliced
- 3 basil leaves sliced
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Layer iceberg lettuce, pepperoni, cheese, olives, and basil in a large bowl.
- Toss with dressing.
- Serve Immediately.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
Serving: 3.5oz | Calories: 326kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 292mg | Potassium: 209mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 755IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 0.9mg
Tried this Recipe? Tag me Today!Mention @OhSoDelicioso or tag #ohsodelicioso!
Made this for dinner and it was so delicious! Thanks for the tips on chopping the lettuce!