Soft, fluffy, pillowy- the best snickerdoodle cookies ever. These snickerdoodles are easy to make and whip up like a dream. You will want to make them over and over again. If you are looking for another delicious unique cookie try these Pistachio Cookies!
WHAT ARE SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES?
Snickerdoodle cookies are a type of sugar cookie that are fluffy and characterized by their crakes. Rolled in cinnamon and sugar together this cookies use cream of tartar to help them become super fluffy.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BEST SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES
- ROOM TEMP BUTTER
- SUGAR, FLOUR
- CREAM OF TARTAR
- BAKING SODA
WHY DO I NEED TO USE CREAM OF TARTAR?
Cream of tartar is a stabilizer in recipes, with it's mixed it allow the recipe to rise.
WHAT CAN I USE AS A SUBSTITUTION FOR CREAM OF TARTAR?
I haven't tried it on the specific recipe, but you can usually use 1 ½ teaspoon of baking powder in place of 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar (so that would be 3 teaspoon for this recipe of baking powder).
HOW EASY IT IS TO MAKE SOFT SNICKERDOODLES
- Cream your room temperature butter and sugar together with a mixer so it is nice and fluffy.
- Add your eggs and beat into the butter and sugar.
- Slowly add your dry ingredients while mixing.
- Chill dough for at least 15 minutes
CINNAMON SUGAR COATING
While your cookies are chilling you can prepare the signature cinnamon sugar coating for the dough balls.
PROTIP: For a little added flair and fun add a little but of coarse sugar to the mix, it will also add some texture and crunch.
- simply mix ground cinnamon and sugar in a slow dish or plate.
ROLLING THE DOUGH IN CINNAMON SUGAR
- Take your chilled dough and pull of small pieces and roll them in your palms until they are smooth. Just a few seconds. You will want them to be about 1-1 ½ inch balls
- Place them in your cinnamon sugar and gently press and roll so they are covered in the cinnamon sugar.
BAKING YOUR FLUFFY SNICKERDOODLES
On a parchment line cookie sheet evenly space snickerdoodle dough balls.
PROTIP: I like to use two fingers and gently press down on my cookies. I dont press them hard or make the flat, just a very slight indent before they bake so when they are done baking are a little more of a fluffy cookie than round when they come out.
Bake you cookies for 8-10 minutes just until set!
LOOKING FOR SOME OTHER COOKIES?
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to! And don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later.
Soft Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 1 cup butter at room temp
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ¾ cup flour
- 2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cream butter and sugar together with electric mixer. Add eggs.
- In separate bowl sift flour, tartar, baking soda, and salt together. Slowly combine with butter mix.
- Chill dough in fridge for at least 15 minutes more if you can.
- Meanwhile grease cookie sheet and make a cinnamon-sugar mix by combining 3 T sugar and 3 tsp. cinnamon in a shallow bowl.
- When dough is chilled, take a small amount and roll into a ball about 1..5 -2 inches wide.
- Then roll ball in cinnamon-sugar mix to coat and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes at 400 deg. Baking time varies depend upon size of dough balls so watch them close. Cool on rack.