HOW TO MAKE THE BEST FRENCH DIP SANDWICH RECIPE
There are to parts two any french dip sandwich
- The roast
- Au Jus dipping gravy
I'll explain how to make both parts! Then you top it on some nice toasty rustic bread and devour! Try serving these delicious crispy Baked Potato Chips as a side to this dish!
WHAT ROAST IS BEST FOR FRENCH DIP?
A great beef roast for french dip sandwiches is a chuck roast.
- Marbling. You want one that is lean with great marbling. Marbling is when you see thin white lines throughout the roast. You DO NOT want a huge slab of fat, or a ton of fat on your roast.
- A size too feed enough people. You will need a roast that is about 4-6oz of meat per sandwich.
- A roast in your budget. Roasts can range in price all over the place. I love to grab a chuck roast, they are pretty reasonable, but sometimes they don't look great (no marbling) or are only huge (way over budget). In that case I grab another cut of roast that looks perfect for my meeds.
How to cook beef for french dip sandwiches.
Whether roasting or placing in the instant pot I love to brown each side of my roast in a little oil. You can do this on the sauté setting of your instant pot, or in a fry pan or the roasting pan on your stovetop. While sautéing prepare the au jus gravy.
AU JUS GRAVY RECIPE
Au Jus (ah-joo) Gravy recipe is the salty savory drippings leftover in the pan after cooking the roast. This part of the recipe is my kids very favorite. They love dipping their sandwich's in this steamy gravy!
For this au jus you will need
- 4 cups of beef broth
- cooking sherry
- Worcestershire sauce
- dried thyme
- garlic salt
- onion salt
In a bowl combine all ingredients and stir together. Then Pour into pan with roast.
Cook on high for 60 minutes and let the instant pot natural release.
HOW TO MAKE A FRENCH DIP SANDWICH
Take some nice artisan bread- whether its sliced or a loaf like a baguette or french bread. Butter one sides and toast it slightly in the oven.
Now that your beef is done, and pull apart tender shred the beef. I love to serve my french dip with mayo and melty cheese.
Layer the mayo on the toasted bread, add shredded beef and a slice of cheese.
WHAT CHEESE IS BEST FOR FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES
Did you know French dip sandwiches are not classically served with cheese!? The original is just beef, bun and gravy! But over time many people come to love their french dip with a slice of cheese and a few other toppings. I 100% agree! I love to use a nice white cheese like a provolone, swiss or mozzarella.
Top your sandwich with a big cheesy slice and broil it for just a few minutes.
Remove drippings from the roast pan (strain if needed) and serve along side the sandwich for dipping!! It is the LITERAL best. Salty gravy, crusty bread and cheesy beef. nothing beats a great french dip!
Tell me about it!
Try this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to! And don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later.
Easy French Dip Recipe
- caramelized onions
- salt for seasoning
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS
- In instant pot add oil* to pan in saute mode. Sear beef roast on both sides until dark brown.
- in separate bowl mix dry seasonings and broth together and pour over beef roast. Cook on high 45 minutes, natural release.
- Place your roast in a roasting pan. (do not cover)
- Cook in a preheated oven @425 for 1 hour. While cooking prepare gravy by mixing dry spices and broth in bowl together.
- After one hour turn oven down to 200 pour broth mixture over roast
- Let cook in oven for 1.5-2 hours more. Until pull apart tender
- Take out and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Slice thin or shred!
- On toasted buns, spread mayo and layer Roast beef.
- Add cheese if desired and place under broiler till melted.
- **Use Drippings in pan for Au Ju dipping sauce. Strain if needed