Crispy, perfect sweet potato fries in the air fryer! If you are new to air fryers you have got to try this recipe next. These potatoes are easy to alter, quick and easy to make. T Sweet Potato Fries in Air Fryer are the perfect sweet savory side to any dish or even a healthy snack. I know you will love these crispy chips!
Don't worry, if you don't have an air fryer I'll tell you how to make them nice and crispy in the oven in recipe card notes.
Why Air Frying Sweet Potatoes Is The Best
Making sweet potato fries, (or chips for non-Americans) in the air fryer is like deep frying but using far less oil. Making these air fryer sweet potatoes a lot healthier, less fattening and less calories. The sweet potato fries still have a crisp outside with a tender bite on the inside. Pair it with these AirFryer Chicken Cutlets and you have the perfect dinner!
What Is An Air Fryer?
An Air Fryer is similar to a convection oven in that It uses hot air to circulate around food which heats and cooks while giving it a crispy outside. Because an air fryer is a much compact space the air is able to move faster and hotter giving the food a crispy outer shell similar to deep frying.
About the Ingredients
Sweet potato fries use very basic ingredients, but the beauty is that you can make season them so many different ways! keep them simple or load them up.
- large sweet potatoes
- oil- I like to use a high temp or high smoke point oil like avocado oil.
- salt and pepper- choose a great sea salt like Redmonds, or Maldon flakes.
- seasoning salts and other seasonings if desired- I love to use cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, popular seasoning salts in addition to salt and pepper.
How To Cut Sweet Potato Fries
- If desired peel your sweet potatoes. Cut off any large eyes or bad parts, and the ends.
- Cut your sweet potatoes in half length wise.
- Slice each half in half again lengthwise. (if potatoes is extra wide you may need to divide them into thirds.)
- Stack the two halves on top of each other and slice into fries! Cut into ¼-1/2 inch thickness.
How To Cook Sweet Potato Fries In The Air Fryer
- Place your sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl
- Drizzle olive oil over your sweet potatoes
- Add your spices over sweet potatoes
- Toss Together
Add Sweet Potato Fries to Air Fryer Basket
Whether you are using a basket style or an oven style air fryer you will use the basket to cook your fries in.
Cook at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, turning half way. If your potatoes are thinner you can cook for 380 and 15 minutes.
PROTIP: I have tested several different brands of air fryers and styles of air fryers. They all worked great but worked very differently. Some cooked hotter and faster, some cooked slower. Get to know your air fryer and check on your food periodically to keep It from burning or drying out.
Expert Tips for Cooking Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer
- Don't Over Crowd the Basket: I allow some overlap but not too much or your potatoes will end up not cooking evenly. You might find the ends are burnt and the middle is under cooked.
- Cut sweet potatoes fries all the same size. If some are much thicker and some much thinner your fries will again not cook evenly.
- Shake half way through cooking.
- Use an air fryer basket, this allows the air to circulate all around the fries creating the ultimate crispiness.
What is a Good Sweet Potato Dip?
I have two dips that I love to make. They pair perfectly with the crispy sweet saltiness of the sweet potato fries.
Trust me I was weirded out the first time I saw this but its now my favorite sweet potato fry dip. Simply mix 2 parts mayo with 1 part mustard. I add a little salt and pepper and you are done!
Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce
Mix lime, cilantro, plain greek yogurt (or sour cream), cumin and salt and pepper. Stir together! It's a very cool refreshing dip!
Yes! You don't need to add oil to these fries, air fry them for the same amount of time and temperature. I like to salt them AFTER or half way through them cooking.
Use an oil that has a high smoke point like avocado oil or canola oil.
Store them in an air tight container in the fridge!
Re-heat in the hair fryer!!
Other great Air Fryer Recipes!
Try these Taquitos in the air fryer! They are amazing.
How To Air Fry Potstickers
Let's Be Friends!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Sweet Potato Fries in Air Fryer
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes washed and peeled
- ¼ cup avocado oil can use canola, or extra virgin olive oi
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
Cilantro Lime Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- juice of one lime or 2 teaspoon of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- lime zest
Mustard Dipping sauce
- ¼ cup mayo
- 2 tbs mustard
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Wash, peel, and cut potatoes into ¼-1/2 inch thickness fries.
- Toss in oil and seasonings.
- air fry at 400 for 10 minutes, shake and air fry for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with sauces!