Hi there! Today we have an oldie but a goodie made new! For sheet pan week, we wanted to share a few fast and easy ideas to pull dinner off on busy nights. One of our favorites is open-faced sandwiches like this Grilled Chicken Pesto Sandwich. These come together with minimal prep and has the potential to make a lot for large families or groups. In fact, this recipe originally was inspired by my Aunt Cammy. A few years ago, Des and I were in charge of hosting a baby shower for our sister-in-law, Jesse–just a few days after Christmas. Needless to say, it was a crazy week and we had so much to do, we needed to fix an easy lunch that was fast, easy, and could make plenty. Cammy came up with the idea of an open-faced pesto sandwich and we ran with it!
Literally we ran to Costco and grabbed everything we needed sans the onion. Buying the ingredients in bulk made it cheap and gave us plenty of ingredients to feed the party! These pesto grilled chicken sandwiches were heaven-sent! Everyone loved them. We prepped large batches of sandwiches on sheet pans ready to heat in the oven when supplies were low.
How to make a Grilled Chicken Pesto Sandwich
Like I said earlier, this sandwich is so simple. All ingredients can be bought ready-to-go, however, you can make much of it from scratch! Extra grilled chicken from a previous meal or homemade pesto both would be amazing! Find a good loaf of french bread or if you can, find an artisan bread with herbs that would add a little extra yum. Top with your pesto of choice, then layer grilled chicken, thin slices of red onion, tomatoes with a little salt and pepper, mozzarella cheese, and then a little parmesan! Warm in the oven on a jelly roll pan, like this beautiful enameled one, until cheese is bubbly and chicken is warmed through.
Delicious and easy grilled chicken pesto sandwiches. These open sandwiches make a great appetizer, snack or lunch!
- 12 slices french bread or artisian bread pre-sliced makes life easy!
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 2-3 tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 Cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 large grilled chicken breast sliced thin or pre-grilled and sliced chicken from deli or freezer section.
- Slice bread, tomatoes, onion, and chicken if not already done.
- On a baking sheet place bread and layer: pesto, chicken, red onion, tomatoes (I like to add a little salt and pepper) and a little of each cheese.
- Bake at 350 or broil till cheese is melted.
- Baking is recommended for the larger sandwiches to ensure that it is heated through.
If using frozen chicken, thaw before assembling! This will help reduce heating time and avoid burning the bread/cheese.