Smooth almond milk, hearty protein powder, coconut flakes, and almond butter come together with banana and ice to create the tastiest Chocolate Protein Smoothie. This protein packed shake is so good you'll think it is a candy bar milkshake! Let me show you just how to do it!
Why This Recipe Works
Who else struggles with breakfast!? I am ALWAYS rushed in the morning, so my go-to breakfast is always a shake. I've come up with some fun, tasty smoothie recipes over the years - and so I thought I'd share one of my staples today - this chocolate coconut protein shake tastes just like an almond joy. You're going to love this recipe because:
- It is made in minutes.
- This shake tastes just like a candy bar milkshake.
- This protein smoothie is packed with protein and healthy fat to keep you full until lunch.
With all of the processed foods these days I like to start off the day with something that is good for me, so I find a breakfast protein powder smoothie to be just what I need to start my day off right!
About The Ingredients
All of the ingredients for this recipe can be purchased at your local grocery store. Here are a few items to note:
- Almond milk - I like to use plain unsweetened almond milk in my protein shakes because they don't overpower the shake with flavor, and they are low calorie. You can also use coconut milk or dairy milk if you prefer.
- Almond butter - for a punch of almond flavor I like to add in a bit of almond butter. It also thickens the shake. You can use peanut butter in a pinch, but the almond gives it that candy bar taste.
- Coconut extract and flake coconut - for an almond joy shake you need some coconut! I like to add both extract and flake coconut. If you don't like the texture of coconut, skip the flake coconut and just use the extract.
- Ripe bananas - bananas are great at thickening up and sweetening up a chocolate protein smoothie without adding lots of flavor.
- Chocolate protein powder - use your favorite protein powder. I will give my recommendations in a bit. Cocoa powder with protein? What's not to love?
A complete list of ingredients and amounts can be located in the recipe card below.
How To Make The Best Chocolate Protein Smoothie
Making the almond joy chocolate protein smoothie is super simple, let me give you the rundown.
Step 1: Add all of your liquids to your blender - almond milk, coconut extract, and any sweetener you want to add.
Pro Tip: always put liquids in the bottom of your blender. This allows the blade to turn and blend your items.
Step 2: Add in ice, banana and coconut.
Step 3: Add in a scoop of whey protein powder and 1 tablespoon almond butter.
Step 4: Blend until smooth.
- Chocolate Banana - want to skip the coconut? Just omit the coconut, and coconut extract for a chocolate banana shake.
- Swap out the butters - swap the almond butter for peanut butter for a smoother and creamier taste.
My Favorite Protein Powders
When it comes to chocolate protein powder, I tend to like them on the sweet side. Here are a few that I have tried and can recommend:
- BSN Syntha 6 - this is inexpensive and readily available on amazon. It tastes great and is one of my favorites.
- Shakeology - Shakeology is pricy, but includes lots of healthy super foods that Syntha 6 doesn't. You can only get shakeology from Beachbody.com. They also have an option for plant based protein.
- Clean Simple Eats - mid prices, and low in calories. Comes in a variety of flavors.
Of course, any blender will work for this recipe. But I love having a high power blender at home. It is the appliance I use the most, and one I will never be without. For years I purchased cheap blenders that broke often. Since investing in a good blender (I use a Blendtec) I haven't had an issue once. So take my advice and skip the cheap ones and invest in a nice one when you can. Here are a few to consider:
Expert Kitchen Tips
Blending - Always put liquids at the bottom of your blender. This helps the blade turn easily, which results in a smoother blend.
Make ahead - you can make chocolate protein smoothie packs to throw in the blender. Just dice your banana, and include all ingredients except for the almond milk on a zipper bag. Freeze. When ready to use just add your liquid and blend. Skip the ice cubes because everything will be nice and cold already.
There are a few things you can do to make your protein smoothies taste better. You can add fruit. A nice ripe banana does wonders. You can also add a sweetener like agave, honey, or a no-calorie sweetener.
Adding some banana helps to thicken the shake. You can also add half of an avocado, greek yogurt, or ice. Also freezing your banana, and using frozen banana in place of room temp will make your smoothie cold and thick.
While protein shakes are not a magic drink, they can help you get more protein into your diet. There are many benefits to increasing your protein intake.
More Recipes You'll Enjoy
Here are some more delicious protein powder recipes:
If you're looking for a protein snack that isn't a shake, check out these delicious Keto Protein Balls. You won't regret them!
Chocolate Protein Smoothie
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder
- 14 ounces almond milk
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 ripe banana
- ⅛ cup flake coconut
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 tablespoon no sugar sweetener
- 8 ice cubes
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately.