Skip the drive thru and make this seasonable favorite at home - year round! This Copycat Chick Fil A Peppermint Milkshake - a version that is only available a few months out of the year. With a handful of ingredients and a few minutes you'll be able to enjoy this treat whenever you want.
What Is A Chick Fil A Peppermint Shake?
A shake similar to this one, is served at the fast food restaurant, Chick Fil A, but only during the winter months. The first time I took a sip of the peppermint shake I was in love. This shake has pieces of candy cane, shavings of chocolate, and a smooth vanilla ice cream. Even after it was gone from the menu I would often drive thru and ask if they still had them. Some stores have leftover supplies a few months after the promo is gone. But after that...its an entire year before you get to drink one again. So I came up with a solution - make it at home.
What Do I Need To Make A Peppermint Milkshake?
- 8 candy canes
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup shaved semisweet chocolate (from a semi sweet chocolate baking bar)
- 4 cups ice cream (about 8 scoops)
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
How Do I Make A Chick Fil A Peppermint Shake?
1. Shave your chocolate bar using a microplane or cheese grater.
I opted for shaved chocolate rather than blending chocolate chips. I find that chocolate chips have a waxy texture, and using the shaved chocolate really replicated the texture and flavor of the Chick Fil A version.
2. Crush your candy canes into pebble sized piece by pulsing them in a blender.
3. Add Milk.
Pro Tip: always put liquids in the bottom of your blender. This allows the blade to turn and blend your items.
4. Top with shaved chocolate.
5. Pour in peppermint extract.
6. Add in ice cream.
7. Pulse until you get your desired consistency.
8. Pour into 4 glasses and top with whipped cream.
Chick Fil A Peppermint Milkshake Q&A
What should I top my shake with?
Sometimes I like my shakes as is - I skip the whipped cream and sprinkles. But with this shake I love a dollop of whipped cream, ALWAYS a cherry, and a dusting of crushed candy cane.
Do you have a blender you recommend?
Of course, any blender will work for this recipe. But I love having a high power blender at home. It is the appliance I use the most, and one I will never be without. For years I purchased cheap blenders that broke often. Since investing in a good blender (I use a Blendtec) I haven't had an issue once. So take my advice and skip the cheap ones and invest in a nice one when you can.
Why is my milkshake not thick?
This shake should be able to be sipped thru a straw. Some shakes served a restaurants these days aren't milkshakes but rather stirred soft serve. If you prefer a thicker shake, add more ice cream.
If you're looking for more peppermint recipes, check our our:
I Love Seasonal Desserts! Do You Have More?
Check our our:
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you tried this peppermint shake or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to! And don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later.
Peppermint Milk Shake
- ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate shaved (from a semi-sweet chocolate baking bar)
- 8 candy canes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- Shave your chocolate bar using a microplane or cheese grater.
- Crush your candy canes into pebble sized piece by pulsing them in a blender.
- Add Milk. Pro Tip: always put liquids in the bottom of your blender. This allows the blade to turn and blend your items.
- Top with shaved chocolate.
- Pour in peppermint extract.
- Add in ice cream.
- Pulse until you get your desired consistency.
- Pour into 4 glasses and top with whipped cream.