Savory and tender meatballs smothered in a rich and creamy gravy. This easy Swedish meatballs recipe will definitely be a new family favorite! Serve them up with mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles and a side salad for a meal that will please even the pickiest eater.
What are Swedish meatballs?
Swedish meatballs are one of my favorite comfort foods. I've been known to eat my share of Ikea's iconic Swedish meatballs. Swedish meatballs are a delicious savory meatball that is served swimming in a creamy gravy. How delicious does that sound!? Often they are served over a starch - like mashed potatoes, noodles, or rice.
What Do I Need To Put On My Grocery List?
For this recipe you'll need:
- ground beef
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- beef broth
- heaving whipping cream
How Do I Make This Easy Swedish Meatball Recipe?
How To Make The Meatballs
Pro Tip #1: Before we get into the details I have a secret tip to make some really amazing meatballs. I've tried this a few times and have had the best success. This is one of those recipe tips you will be calling your girlfriends about to show off your culinary wisdom. It's an incredible easy step but makes a world of difference in the texture of your meatballs. All you have to do is soak your breadcrumbs in milk! It adds moisture by throughly incorporating the milk into the mixture and still allows the bread to bind the meat together. Try it. You will never go back.
- Combine bread crumbs and milk. Let set for a few minutes.
- Combine ground beef, egg, soaked bread crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, oregano, nutmeg, and salt & pepper in a large bowl.
- Using clean hands mix together so all ingredients are well combined.
- Roll into 1 inch balls.
- Bake meatballs in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until browned a cooked thru.
Pro Tip #2: Use a cookie scoop to portion the meat for meatballs. This will create uniform sizes and even cooking.
Other Ways To Cook Meatballs
Oven: Place meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, or sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake in a 400 degree oven until cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
Pressure Cooker: Insert the trivet into your pressure cooker. Add 1 cup of water. Add meatballs to the pot. You can layer them on top of each other. Cook for 15 minutes. Use a quick release to release the pressure.
How To Make The Gravy (AKA Ikea Sauce)
You don't have to go to Ikea to have their delicious creamy gravy sauce. You can make it at home in just a few easy steps.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add flour.
- Whisk and cook until mixture is lightly browned.
- Add beef broth. Whisk and cook until thickened.
- Whisk in heavy whipping cream.
- Add cooked meatballs to gravy. Gently stir to coat meatballs with gravy.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
What the difference between an Italian meatball and a Swedish meatball?
Italian meatballs are famously served in a bright, tangy, tomato sauce. Swedish meatballs are cooked in a rich, roux-based, creamy gravy made with beef broth.
What Do I Serve Swedish Meatballs With?
They are delicious served over a starch. Try mashed potatoes, or noodles. You can even do rice. If you really want the full Swedish experience, add a spoonful of Lingonberry sauce to the side. It creates a heavenly flavor combination!
DO I HAVE TO MAKE HOMEMADE MEATBALLS?
Nope! you can use your favorite meatballs from the store. WHAT ARE THE BEST FROZEN MEATBALLS? We love Rosina homestyle or itialan-style meatballs. I do highly recommend making homemade meatballs however, their flavor and texture are so much better.
Do you have other meatball recipes?
We sure do! Try our:
Leave Us A Comment!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 6 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoon Flour
- 3 cups Beef Broth
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- Salt and Pepper
Hot Cooked Mashed Potatoes, Noodles, or Rice
- Soak bread crumbs in milk until absorbed.
- Combine all ingredients and roll into 1 inch balls and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degs for 20 mins or until browned and cooked through.
- While meatballs are baking, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When melted whisk in flour and continue to whisk until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Slowly whisk in beef broth and allow to thicken.
- Whisk in heavy cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked meatballs to gravy.
- Serve over mashed potatoes and with a side of Lingonberry Sauce..